Camallanus worms

mastiffsrule

Exodon
MFK Member
May 6, 2020
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
It appears I have these in my 75g. So far, I see them hanging out of my chocolate which happens to be my favorite, dang it. I have levamisole coming tues. Hoping I catch this early, hate to lose any fish. Can anyone comment on what I might expect as far as fish behavior and what to look for? Thanks

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
By chance, how long have you noticed these worms protruding from the fish?
Do you have access to Fenbendazole? It is another option for treating these worms if you can’t secure Levamisol fast enough.
Something that might ultimately do your fish in is if the worm dies inside of the fish and cannot be passed. It will essentially rot in the fish.

mastiffsrule

Exodon
MFK Member
May 6, 2020
Just this past week and only protruding from the chocolate although I realize all the fish have been affected. I have levamisole coming tomorrow, hope that does the trick. I also have levamisole coming in flake food, should i feed and dose the water at same time?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Levamisole is just as effective in the water since it is readily absorbed through the skin. Make sure the dosing is 0.1g per 10g (2ppm). If you put a little more like 0.2g /10g it's not a big deal.

mastiffsrule

Exodon
MFK Member
May 6, 2020
Im getting mine from select aquatics, comes in a kit with storage container, measuring spoon and instructions...just hope im successful. Been reading quite a few horror stories.

mastiffsrule

Exodon
MFK Member
May 6, 2020
Dosed all the tanks yesterday. Checked them this morning and no dead fish so far. Doing water changes and second dose this afternoon. Fingers crossed!!!

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Levamisol HCL in pure form is hard to overdose and stays stable in solution for many days so it's a good treatment choice. As you probably know by now the Levamisol only paralyses the worms which can then be expelled.

Have you considered treating the fish in a separate tank - leave the main tank(s) fish less for 3 weeks to break the worm's life cycle without a host. Remebering the worm life cycle time is dependent on temperature.

When treating the infected fish, you can use a coarse net to keep fish off the tank bottom or move the fish on again to stop them eating the expelled worms & eggs.

Do re-treat the fish again in 3 weeks.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Dead worms won't rot inside an infected fish. Peristaltic movement is very strong, easily ripping off dead worm hooks and fish eat dead / decaying matter all the time.

Reactions: EntoStentor

mastiffsrule

Exodon
MFK Member
May 6, 2020
I do not have another tank to move fish unfortunately. I have cories and plecos and have been doing gravel vacs with water changes. Ill probably do water changes every couple of days and in 2 wks will re treat. Been trying to get a good look at the chocolate, from what i can tell i do not see any worms. Fish seem alittle lethargic so hoping the water change today and some frozen food perk them up.

mastiffsrule

Exodon
MFK Member
May 6, 2020
So, finished with the treatment and water change on thursday 12/3. No worms hanging from the chocolate and all the fish are active. So far everyone except the severum, chocolate and blood parrot are eating. I have tried frozen, pellets soaked in garlic and fresh shrimp. They were eating fine before the treatment. Anyone with some thoughts or suggestions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store