Camellanus Worms & Prohibit: levamisole hcl Help.

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello,

My sister’s fiancé’s sister moved, and “gifted” me some fish a couple months ago. I noticed some camellanus worms hanging out of one, so I bought levamisole hcl (Prohibit brand). Below is a screenshot of recommended dosage per usual aquarium volume.

882046BE-1558-4892-BE6A-6F4481297E27.png

I’d read about a fair deal of bad experiences people had with an “aquarium” specific one, that claimed to be more potent than “other” levamisole, and cut to “99.9% pure”. Below is their recommended dosages for their “purer” product. It seems odd to me that it would be 3x higher than Prohibit...

02000C0B-BB96-4216-AECD-92BA9EF74FAE.png

Any advise would be helpful. I’m going to treat all of my tanks in case I contaminated them moving stuff around.
20gal, 75gal, 150gal, 180gal (currently fishless, but has plants from the confirmed infected tank).
I want to get the dosing correct, but those are two very conflicting dosing recommendations.

there are snails in two tanks. Should I leave the snails in during treatment or take them out? I’m assuming they probably need to be treated as well, though.
read conflicting information in regards to snail/shrimp safety as well.

3 of the tanks are outside, so I’m also assuming I’ll have to put sheets or something over them since the medication requires it to be dark.

thank yoooou ?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
That is confusing. Without being a chemist, my first inclination would be to use the lesser of the two dosages on one tank and see if it’s effective before going with the stronger dosage. If it works, then you can just go with that or increase as needed.

I ordered levamisole from two different vendors and they too had differing information so I just followed the directions for each vendor. The first batch was pure and seemed very strong as the fish literally floated near the bottom of the tank and didn’t move or want to eat. A day or so later, the fish would start to become more animated but they I could see them definitely passing the worms.

The levamisole from the 2nd vendor had a different conisistency and was fluffier so I assumed it had fillers. It seemed weaker as the fish exhibited none of those behaviors and just ate and swam as normal. In fact, the reaction was so different, I thought the stuff was expired or that I mis-dosed or that it was fake. This time, I did not see them pass the worms but after following the full regimen, it did an equally good job eradicating camanallus. If I had to do it again, I’d go with the gentler stuff...still works and less stressful to me and the fish

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtyPaws949

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Most of these products should come with its own dosing description. I’d go with that b since ur asking then I’d assume it doesn’t have one. Goal is get a concentration of 2-13ppm. Would go with the first chart u posted. The dosing seems to be the closest with that.

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
Most of these products should come with its own dosing description. I’d go with that b since ur asking then I’d assume it doesn’t have one. Goal is get a concentration of 2-13ppm. Would go with the first chart u posted. The dosing seems to be the closest with that.
thanks!
The product has instructions... for sheep and cattle ? however, the reviews on Amazon, various forums/websites for aquatics have links to this brand for treatment of fish for internal parasites. The only thing is I’m carp at math. The .1 g/ 10 gallons sounds easy enough! I ordered another scale last night since the one I bought a couple weeks ago for shipping isn’t accurate enough.

any confirmation on snails? I also ordered some ramshorn (before I saw the worms, the seller is just slow), so they will probably get here Thursday. I can leave them in a different set up while treating the other tanks, but again, if they can handle it, I’d prefer to treat them also so I can be sure everyone is parasite free. I can also put the snails in the fry tank and treat with a lower does, maybe .1g for the 20gal and put the snails in that?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should be snail safe.

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
Should be snail safe.
thank you so much for your help.

one last question, I have aquatic plants up the wazoo, and move them around to different containers (about 10 containers ranging in size). These are all fishless, and probably only half have had any plants in them from the tanks with fish in the past month. They have tadpoles, snails, ostracods, copepods, amphipods.

to my understanding, camellanus worms will die out after about a month without hosts. If I quit moving plants around, should they be free of any potential worms in due time, or can the other critters perpetuate the life cycle?

it’s been about 3 years since I’ve had any sort of disease in my tanks (ich), so hoping to get this problem under control soon! I haven’t seen any camellanus worms in any of my fish aside from one of the ones that had been given to me. They’re all big and healthy looking, fry are growing fast, and all are active and behaving normally.

I also purchased PraziPro to dose all of the tanks as a preventative for external parasites. I’m thinking of doing PraziPro first, since it’s a shorter-running treatment and I’ve read one dose ought to do the trick. the 20gal has newly acquired guppy (feeder quality) and platy fry (Petco) so the Prazi is mostly for them to eradicate any “live-bearer” disease they may potentially have, before introducing them to the 180gal.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
thank you so much for your help.

one last question, I have aquatic plants up the wazoo, and move them around to different containers (about 10 containers ranging in size). These are all fishless, and probably only half have had any plants in them from the tanks with fish in the past month. They have tadpoles, snails, ostracods, copepods, amphipods.

to my understanding, camellanus worms will die out after about a month without hosts. If I quit moving plants around, should they be free of any potential worms in due time, or can the other critters perpetuate the life cycle?

it’s been about 3 years since I’ve had any sort of disease in my tanks (ich), so hoping to get this problem under control soon! I haven’t seen any camellanus worms in any of my fish aside from one of the ones that had been given to me. They’re all big and healthy looking, fry are growing fast, and all are active and behaving normally.

I also purchased PraziPro to dose all of the tanks as a preventative for external parasites. I’m thinking of doing PraziPro first, since it’s a shorter-running treatment and I’ve read one dose ought to do the trick. the 20gal has newly acquired guppy (feeder quality) and platy fry (Petco) so the Prazi is mostly for them to eradicate any “live-bearer” disease they may potentially have, before introducing them to the 180gal.
If I remember right. You’ll have to repeat the dosing again due to the the fact of the eggs can protect against the medication.

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
I’ve read to do two doses of Levamisole, spaced 3 weeks apart, the Prazi is two doses as well?
how far apart should those be?
The bottle says one dose lasts 5-7 days, and to redose no more than 3 days apart, so it’s somewhat confusing.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d stick with the levamisole and pass on the prazipro.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store