Can´t glue my 3d aquarium background

pakash

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Mexico
Hello guys i was trying to glue my 3d aquarium background i made myself, but i´ve tried couple of times and it floats everytime after 24 hours of glued, any help im using a silicone from Home depot called: Sista f110 and sista f781, any help why is happening this to me?

1) What silicone is the best to glue it to the glass
2) How many hours to let the silicone dry withouth water and how much silicone
3) Do you think is to big its a 125g tank

Any help guys here are some pics below

Here it is it fits really good it is 6" thick, but as soon as i fill the tank it floats and the silicone stays on glass, any help please
fondo fi.jpg

fondo fi2.jpg

Thanks

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I'm betting the curing time is going to have to be more than 24 hours. Wait 1-2 weeks then fill the aquarium and see if it stays down.

What is the background made of? If it is foam, maybe hollow out some areas in the back of the bottom rock portion so you could put some sort of weight that is silicone glued to it like inert rocks or pvc pipe filled with silica sand and capped at both ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: pakash and deeda

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Silicone typically takes longer than 24 hours to cure, especially if you're wanting to hold a hundred pounds of bouyancy like that. I'd give it a week. And make sure you have a LOT of coverage with the silicone.

• Sad
Reactions: pakash and deeda

pakash

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Mexico
Silicone typically takes longer than 24 hours to cure, especially if you're wanting to hold a hundred pounds of bouyancy like that. I'd give it a week. And make sure you have a LOT of coverage with the silicone.
What about any silicone you recommend me?

pakash

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Mexico
I'm betting the curing time is going to have to be more than 24 hours. Wait 1-2 weeks then fill the aquarium and see if it stays down.

What is the background made of? If it is foam, maybe hollow out some areas in the back of the bottom rock portion so you could put some sort of weight that is silicone glued to it like inert rocks or pvc pipe filled with silica sand and capped at both ends.
Made of foam, cement and acrylic pain, and pong sealant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store