Can anyone Sex these two opaline Gouramis as well as advice for breeding

Bbg81018

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2018
1557619508857.png1557619546731.png

At the moment i believe The first one is a female and the second is a male(they are a little dull as they had been moved into a separate tank to breed just and hour before)

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
I would say female first photo and male second. The female body will always be rounder. I had a breeding pair long time ago.

Bbg81018

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2018
I wanted some advice on breeding. In the community tank the male was working on a bubble nest for about a week but it would be destroyed. after that week he gave up but still guarded that area. the female also didnt seem to want to breed. she would stay at the bottom of the tank. What is the best way to encourage them to breed?

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
With the hand of luck, i would say add another female or two in the tank. They might not be compatible at all. Even if you bought them as a pair, there still might be a chance they might not pair up. The biggest change would be environment. Same thing goes for betta's, if the female isn't interested sometimes the male still make a bubble nest. He's ready to breed, but not necessarily with that female. Sometimes forcing two fish to pair up might end with one killing the other. I suggest adding more females to the tank.

Reactions: Zanzag

Bbg81018

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2018
With the hand of luck, i would say add another female or two in the tank. They might not be compatible at all. Even if you bought them as a pair, there still might be a chance they might not pair up. The biggest change would be environment. Same thing goes for betta's, if the female isn't interested sometimes the male still make a bubble nest. He's ready to breed, but not necessarily with that female. Sometimes forcing two fish to pair up might end with one killing the other. I suggest adding more females to the tank.
Lucky enough for me i watched them breed last night it was amazing. Should i remove the female right now or wait to make sure the eggs hatch. also how long will the eggs take to hatch and should i leave the male with the fry once they hatch. what should i feed them once they consume their egg sac

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Glad to hear that and congrats! Once they hatch i would remove them and feed them newly hatched brine. I learned that a long time ago on here and been fine ever since.
Sometimes the parents are really good with the fry. Like most would say here, if you plan on keeping them raised them on you're own. Parenting is tricky with fish. They sometimes embrace them and other times they eat them. Ultimately it's going to come down to what you want to happen.

Bbg81018

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2018
Glad to hear that and congrats! Once they hatch i would remove them and feed them newly hatched brine. I learned that a long time ago on here and been fine ever since.
Sometimes the parents are really good with the fry. Like most would say here, if you plan on keeping them raised them on you're own. Parenting is tricky with fish. They sometimes embrace them and other times they eat them. Ultimately it's going to come down to what you want to happen.
1373074do these work?

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
I tried those with my dempsey fry and they spit it back out. But a community type fish might take to it very well. That's a damn good start my friend. If they don't take to that on day one or two free swimming, i would switch to brine. I did have convict fry long time ago that did ok with crush flakes. I feel like you might be fine with that though, because of the nature of you're fish.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well the other guy has it taken care of but I’d still like to note that the easiest way to sex a blue gourami is to look at the dorsal fin. If it’s at a point then it is a male. If it is rounded like in the first picture then it is a female.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store