can i add a “pictus elephant nose “ fish to this tank?

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
theres a morymid at the lfs that looks very sad and alone. ive wanted one for a long time but i always have cichlids in my tanks. so i wanted to see if you guys thought one could live in my tank.

the fish i fear may create problems is the moga and starry night, neither are terribly tempered but theyll occasionally chase a fish off. both will have a tank upgrade within the next 6 months. there are also several geophagus and other peaceful cichlids.

image.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
theres a morymid at the lfs that looks very sad and alone. ive wanted one for a long time but i always have cichlids in my tanks. so i wanted to see if you guys thought one could live in my tank.

the fish i fear may create problems is the moga and starry night, neither are terribly tempered but theyll occasionally chase a fish off. both will have a tank upgrade within the next 6 months. there are also several geophagus and other peaceful cichlids.

View attachment 1455860
I personally never heard of that specie of Elephant Nose but know that the Gnathonemus Petersii will need worms such as bloodworms, or blackworms may work. I personally wouldn't add any Elephant Nose with those Cichlids.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
because of aggression or another reason?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Reactions: Fishman Dave

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The Elephantnose I kept was very shy and they have very small mouths so food will probably be gone before the Elephantnose has enough to eat. There is a article on them in the TFH Magazine. This is a new article I just found on the Elephantnose and Knifefish. I'll have to read it myself.https://www.tfhmagazine.com/article...putting-a-spark-into-fishkeeping-full-article
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/trumpet-knives-and-elephants-well-i-never.735346/

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
id definitely target feed there would be no other way to get suffecient food to it. would the aggression be incompatible or would it be okay since it could seek refuge in the rocks?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Would like a dimly lit slow moving tank with lots of rock work (noting it could reach 9”) to get into with plants for such low light such as Java fern.
If you can provide these requirements then a single elephant may be ok providing the cichlids are not at all aggressive. If they are, then you may never see the elephant nose and if it’s not happy they soon wither and die. A fish that is quite happy to starve itself to death if not happy.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Would like a dimly lit slow moving tank with lots of rock work (noting it could reach 9”) to get into with plants for such low light such as Java fern.
If you can provide these requirements then a single elephant may be ok providing the cichlids are not at all aggressive. If they are, then you may never see the elephant nose and if it’s not happy they soon wither and die. A fish that is quite happy to starve itself to death if not happy.
^
This

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store