Can I instantly add fish in pond when using used media.

gordoncheers

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2020
Singapore
www.instagram.com
I am currently trying to build a pond where my current 15ft tank is located and would have to setup a temporary holding tank for my fishes while i setup the pond, how long would i have to wait to add my fishes into the new pond if i decide to reuse the old filter media that i have used for the past 2 years?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
how long would i have to wait to add my fishes into the new pond if i decide to reuse the old filter media that i have used for the past 2 years?
If you use dechlorinator for new water for filling the pond then the filter and fish should be fine to add without waiting. You will need to monitor pond for water parameters because possible mini cycle.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you use dechlorinator for new water for filling the pond then the filter and fish should be fine to add without waiting. You will need to monitor pond for water parameters because possible mini cycle.
I agree.
When I would bring fish and plants from outside, into a kiddy pool in winter, I would just bring the filter with them, even though all "water in the pond is new, they did fine with the seasoned media in the filter. In the left pic, you can see the DIY filter I use. The 4 ft x 8" tube is filled with lava rock as bio media.

1701178291649.png1701178334052.png1701178663845.png
I do/did monitor constantly parameters like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, every during the process, until I was sure of any spikes.

1701178637819.png

Attachments

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Agree as well (regarding setting ponds or aquaria).
Conversely, waiting some time after moving filters but prior to introducing fish incurs the risk of starving the bacteria colony in the filter, potentially also resulting in a minicycle. So the move should be together (fish + filters).
Regardless, closely monitoring water parameters after the switch is absolutely necessary.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I agree.
When I would bring fish and plants from outside, into a kiddy pool in winter, I would just bring the filter with them, even though all "water in the pond is new, they did fine with the seasoned media in the filter. In the left pic, you can see the DIY filter I use. The 4 ft x 8" tube is filled with lava rock as bio media.

View attachment 1530491View attachment 1530492View attachment 1530495
I do/did monitor constantly parameters like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, every during the process, until I was sure of any spikes.

View attachment 1530494
I haven’t done anything this big but I’ve done the “ bring the old media” method at least a dozen times without issue. Just to be safe, I also add tetra safestart, but I doubt it’s really needed

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I don't think I've cycled a tank from scratch in at least 10 years. I always have a couple of Poret sponge filters in the sump of my bigger indoor tank just for this purpose, so an extra emergency tank or quarantine tank or whatever tank can be set up instantly without worrying about cycling. Depending upon the size of the new tank and the sponge filter, as well as the stocking level (usually pretty low), I will refrain from feeding for the first couple days, both in the new tank and also in the "donor" tank where the sponge originated.

If one were to upgrade to a newer or larger tank, it works the same way. Remove the existing filter, catch out the fish and place into a bucket, drain and discard all that old water, remove the old tank, install the new one, fill it with fresh new water (dechlorinated if necessary, and of appropriate temperature/pH), install the old filter, introduce the fish...done. No need to save any of the old water, and no benefit to doing so in most cases. It's no different that simply doing a 100% water change in your old tank.

In either case, don't clean the old filter, just drop it right into place and you're done.

I've never bothered with bottled bacteria, and never felt I was missing anything.

A cycled sponge filter is a priceless commodity to me; it takes time to produce one, and once you have invested that time, you simply nurture and care for it and in turn it gives you more freedom to enjoy your fish without fretting about cycling.

Reactions: tlindsey

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Forgot to mention: testing your water will alert you to problems. Once you have gone through the process outlined above a few times, or a few dozen times, you come to realize that it works every time if done correctly and carefully. You will develop a feel for when things are going smoothly, and also when things might have been a little "off" about some aspect of the transfer. And I know that this is considered heresy on this forum, but...you can actually relax when it comes to testing.

Most test kits I have purchased were replacements for older kits that were expired, rather than used up. Aside from a fair bit of testing of outdoor stock tanks each spring during set-up...I rarely test water. How many times do you need to test your indoor tank water and get the same results before you accept that the system works?

I'm not suggesting that testing isn't necessary in many instances and for many aquarists. I am merely stating that once you become comfortable with the fact that maintaining healthy water...and, by extension, healthy fish...is an easy process...you can relax. :)

If you are a healthy non-diabetic person, do you test your blood sugar daily or weekly? Do you test the electrolyte in your car battery every day before driving to work? Do you monitor your dog's heart rate or keep a lubed-up thermometer on hand to check his temperature every morning? Of course not. Same idea. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store