Can I keep my leopard ctenopoma in a 40 breeder?

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
I've had the leopard bush fish for maybe 2 years and would hate to have to give away but I don't want to do the wrong thing and keep the fish in a smaller tank than needed...I read some places online that a 50 gallon minimum is required which means it has the same footprint ( 36" x 18") as a 40 breeder, it's just slightly taller. Please tell me it's okay to keep the fish in a 40 breeder?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Depends on bichir size. My ctenopoma is in with 11 rope fish and 9 bichirs of varying sizes in a 180. They are fine together. I would guess as long as he cant eat the bichir they'll be fine. I worry more about water quality.

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
:( I really hope it's okay for me to do this and thanks for your opinion, I think I may just continue to take care of them in the 40 breeder unless it's absolutely not okay...the bichir and the ctenopoma are around the same size and seem to get along well as tankmates...they sleep together in the same rather large java fern plant I have in the tank...I have the marineland biowheel emperor filter rated for a 75 gallon tank, the flow isn't too overbearing. It has 2 biowheels and I have a big bag of mixed biomedia in the filter as well...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store