Can i put a 5 inch female red tiger moto in a 33 gallon?

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Hello, i have a friend who is getting out of the aquarium hobby and he has one fish left which is a red tiger moto. female, the only tank I have extra at my house is a 33 gallon with 2 aquaclear 50s on it, wondering if this would be a suitable home for her? I dont think she'll get much bigger than 7 inches, he's had her for almost 2 years already

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe no-one has responded because most seasoned aquarists feel a female motaguense in a tank that small is ridiculous and they don't want to be the bad guy.
I believe any cichlid needs at least 10 gallons per inch, determined by length, plus width, plus height.
So to me a 5" long female motagense need about a minimum, 75 gallon tank, and more when it grows.
If you decide to do it anyway, you should expect in that tank, you will need to do a 50% water change ever other day to keep it healthy.

Reactions: Matteus and stiker

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
You are correct duanes. I wrote about 3 different responses and deleted all of them. But I do agree a fish of her size shouldn't be in anything smaller then a 75. I personally try not to keep fish in tanks where the length and width of the tank combined is not at least 10x the length of the fish which in this case is getting close to my max

Reactions: Matteus

Crazy 8

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 13, 2018
Merica
I believe no-one has responded because most seasoned aquarists feel a female motaguense in a tank that small is ridiculous and they don't want to be the bad guy.
I believe any cichlid needs at least 10 gallons per inch, determined by length, plus width, plus height.
So to me a 5" long female motagense need about a minimum, 75 gallon tank, and more when it grows.
If you decide to do it anyway, you should expect in that tank, you will need to do a 50% water change ever other day to keep it healthy.
I totally agree with you on this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store