Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
W.I.
can i put african cichlids in a 30 galon tank

STONEDFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
That would be a great choice for a 30 gallon tank. You could get a very colorful tank going with a variety of africans. Those little guys are mean though.....so watch out....they kill each other.

STONEDFISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rwatkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2005
Ga
If you want africans, go with some of the dwarf species, rams, or shell-dwellers. The mbuna get way too big. They need 8 gallons of water per fish

www.cichlid-forum.com has what they call cookie-cutter plans for tanks as to what kind of fish do well in different sized tanks

SinisterKisses

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2005
^^Thank you for that post! ^^

As said, dwarf species MIGHT be okay, but even then, I wouldn't reccommend it. Maybe like 1m/3f yellow lab colony in that tank, that's about it...otherwise, I'd look into some of the smaller Tangs, like Brichardi and shellies and such.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
There are many species of shell dwellers that could live in there. I keep N. brichardi cichlids in a 20g tank and I know there are a lot more small Africans that would work.

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
Yes here are a few species which would do ok in a 30gal

Julidochromis ornatus Boulenger 1898, the Golden Julie. East Central Africa; a Lake Tanganyika endemic. To a little over three inches in length. Rock dweller. pH range: 8-9, dH 9-18, temp. 20-24 C. Many different color, marking variations have occurred in this species with successive captive generations.

Julidochromis marlieri Poll 1956. Africa; northwestern part of Lake Tanganyika. To five inches in length. Peaceful as far as Cichlids go. Hardy, undemanding species. Micro-feeders, not carnivores in the wild. pH 7-9, dH 8-14, temp. 22-25. Breeds in caves and crevices.

Julidochromis regani Poll 1942, the Convict Julie. East Central Africa; a Lake Tanganyika endemic. To a little over five inches in length. Lives openly over shallow sandy bottoms. pH range: 8.5-9.2, dH 8-14, temp. 22-25. A popular genus and species of easier going African Cichlids, that have become adapted to more "common" aquarium water quality conditions with successive captive generations.

NOTE with the 2 speices that grow to 5" you will only be able to keep acouple of them not mas may as the other smaller speices.

Julidochromis_ornatusAQ 1.jpg

Julidochromis_marlieriAQ 2.jpg

Julidochromis_reganiAQ3.jpg

View attachment 1123568

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store