Can i use rain

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Rainwater is fine to use in aquariums. Testing the water is necessary to discern whether or not the rain has picked up any pollutants. Also, the pH will be on the acid side requiring pre-treatment before using in alkaline setups.
Collecting rainwater in cisterns and from roof run-off is fine provided the roofing material is not made of a material that can harm your fish. I've collected rainwater into 55gal drums at the down spouts from my roof. The roof is epoxy sealed metal which is safe from dangerous chemicals. If you have a tar or shale roof, the water may have compounds that are hazardous to fish.
All water from the outside barrels was plumbed into the basement and passed through a 3-stage filter before being added to a 400gal water storage tank in the basement. The filter removed any windblown contaminants that may have landed on the roof and removed phosphates normally found in the local bird droppings.

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
I would think it would depend on your air quality. As was stated the rain will pick up the crap in the air and pull it back to the ground so pending on your area that you live.

Bassman89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2006
Rockin down the Highway USA
Can i use rainwater for water changes in either of my tanks? We have 2 huge water butts outside i could use for water changes.

Thanks

Carl.
i have a tub outside my house where i store my feeder minnows and i left the cover off when it rained on accident and the rain turned the water a nasty yellowish color...but that was also after about 3"of rain so im not sure

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store