Can Pothos be Submerged

Stephon C

Feeder Fish
Aug 9, 2018
I have two tanks, both with fully submerged pothos. The goldfish tank has had the pothos fully submerged for almost six months. The circles area is growth that occurred about four months ago. There is a new growth near the top that has been growing for about three weeks. There is an extensive aquatic root system that has developed and this plant is thriving.

The second tank has a fully submerged pothos plant that has been active for four months. There is new growth and a very extensive aquatic root system that has developed.

Both plants are thriving and show no sign of rot or even browning.20180809_185417.jpg 20180809_185338.jpg

Reactions: J. H.

ThePlantWhisperer

Feeder Fish
Mar 2, 2020
I've had pothos planted in 3 of my tanks for almost 3 years now. They are thriving and I've never had a problem with them.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
IME, the submerged leaves will eventually die.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've never been able to grow them long-term if they're completely submerged, although it does take several months for them to waste away. It also seems as though a plant that is growing partly out of the water will maintain its submerged leaves much longer than one which is completely submerged.

The several pics in this thread that "prove" the plant will grow completely submerged don't show the plant completely submerged, there seems to be an emersed portion in each case.

Years ago it was common to see several species of terrestrial plants...prayer plants (Maranta), various types of Draceana, ivies, etc...sold for aquarium use. That practice seemed to have finally disappeared. Now that the idea of using pothos and others for nitrate reduction is becoming commonplace, we're back to drowning terrestrial plants again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store