Can pygos be mixed?

pocono

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2021
i have always had my tanks at low 70's unless i was breeding then high 70's, heres what i have seen over the years,lower temps do a few things most people dont think about, more oxygen in the water, i am not 100% positive on the numbers but i think its right around 15-20% more o2 in the water at 70 degrees then there is at 85 degrees. fish metabolism is much faster at 85 then at 70 degrees, this means they grow and age much faster , diseases are much more prevalent at higher temps then they are at lower temps, aggression is much higher in almost all fish at higher temps as that indicates summer breeding season in almost all fish, fish do not live year round at 1 single temp, day and night temps vary and yearly temps very so most fish have a wide range of temps they can live in and with almost all fish these days being tank bred they are used to even wider range of temps. and piranhas have a extremly wide liveable temp range

you asked do i think temp is the reason they all got along? no, it was just one part of the puzzle, they were fed daily, they had a very large tank where they could get away from each other easy and they temps were lower and they were all raised together from young fish

Reactions: Deadeye and A&A

pocono

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2021
but also keep in mind you could always end up getting two fish that simply hate each other no matter what and then one of them will end up dead,nothing you can do in that situation. i seen this a few times :eek3:

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye and A&A

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
i have always had my tanks at low 70's unless i was breeding then high 70's, heres what i have seen over the years,lower temps do a few things most people dont think about, more oxygen in the water, i am not 100% positive on the numbers but i think its right around 15-20% more o2 in the water at 70 degrees then there is at 85 degrees. fish metabolism is much faster at 85 then at 70 degrees, this means they grow and age much faster , diseases are much more prevalent at higher temps then they are at lower temps, aggression is much higher in almost all fish at higher temps as that indicates summer breeding season in almost all fish, fish do not live year round at 1 single temp, day and night temps vary and yearly temps very so most fish have a wide range of temps they can live in and with almost all fish these days being tank bred they are used to even wider range of temps. and piranhas have a extremly wide liveable temp range

you asked do i think temp is the reason they all got along? no, it was just one part of the puzzle, they were fed daily, they had a very large tank where they could get away from each other easy and they temps were lower and they were all raised together from young fish
Good read! Raised together from young is a key component IMO. I am reluctant to add any other Pygos later in the year as I do not want to upset the balance.

Reactions: pocono and Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store