Can someone help??

mushroomfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2006
canada
Hi everyone,

Im a new member here and i was hoping to recieve help from people more experienced than I.

I recently purchased a 20g aquarium kit which came with a filter rated for 30g. i also own a small filter rated for 10g which i may want to use in conjunction with the other.

It won't surprise anyone to hear that i was told that i can keep 5 or 6 medium goldfish in the 20g. i thought this to be unreasonable so i only purchased 3 babies.(2 pearlscales and 1 ordinary fantail) all of which are 1-1.5". i also added an existing goldfish (looks to be a ryukin with a veiltail) who is aprox. 2-3".

After doing furthur research, i now know that i am still overstocked!! In the spring, i plan to build a pond but until then i cannot afford anything bigger.
I have been taking good care of the tank and perform weekly water changes with a gravel syphon. i always add aged, treated water.

3/4 of my fish are still small and i would hate to have to give any up. would it be unreasonable to keep these guys in 5g per fish for another 10-12 months?

If it is not unreasonable, my question is:

Is there any measures i can take to make my 5g per fish more livable. (eg) more frequent water changes, extra filtration>>?? lighting??? anything at all.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Kuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
Benton,Ky
its fine do, i hope you know that golf fish will get HUGE, but right now its fine dude, dont sweat it

jimk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
coatesville, pa
You have enough filtration for now. Do not overfeed, goldfish don't have much in the way of stomachs. An air stone would oxygenate the water a little more. Lighting should not make a difference either way, unless you have black moors.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy, and welcome to MFK

As stated above, they'll be just fine for now. Regarding your pond, I simply dug a hole in my backyard and put a big Rubbermaid trunk in it. I lined it with limestone, put a filter and a few plants in, looks great and my goldies love it. That's a quick set-up, which you could still enjoy this year. It's not even an afternoon's worth of work.

HarleyK

mushroomfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2006
canada
I've considered that option. probably wouldnt be too expesive either.

when i do build a pond (indoor or outdoor) i would want it above ground so that i can put in one wall of glass or some other transperent material. does anybody know where i can get plans for something like this?

Also, i live in Toronto, Canada and the summers are nice and hot but the winters can get very cold. im worried about my goldfish freezing over.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

when i do build a pond (indoor or outdoor) i would want it above ground so that i can put in one wall of glass or some other transperent material. does anybody know where i can get plans for something like this?
You should post that question in a bit more detail (size) in our DIY forum :thumbsup:

Also, i live in Toronto, Canada and the summers are nice and hot but the winters can get very cold. im worried about my goldfish freezing over.
That's a serious concern. Mine spend winters inside :grinyes:

HarleyK

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
Before the freeze, simply transfer your stock to indoor tanks....You get to check them upclose...Measure them and surprise yourself with the growth from the year before....

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
As long as it is a temporary fix the fish will be fine. Keep up on your water changes and watch your water parameters. Also try to get the into a larger tank or pond ASAP.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store