Can south American knifefish and african knifefish live together????

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
So i was wondering can a tiger macana knifefish live with an afers knifefish
In a pond that I'm building ?????

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Reactions: tlindsey

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
Knives are super territorial with other knives.
That’s a bit of an inaccurate generalization - it of course depends on the species. I’ve had black ghost knives live with African brown knives for years with no issues. Same with brown ghost knives and African knives. Have also had a clown knife with a black ghost.

That said, I agree the OPs original suggestion would not work. Both are territorial and afers are supper agro.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That’s a bit of an inaccurate generalization - it of course depends on the species. I’ve had black ghost knives live with African brown knives for years with no issues. Same with brown ghost knives and African knives. Have also had a clown knife with a black ghost.

That said, I agree the OPs original suggestion would not work. Both are territorial and afers are supper agro.
African knives are sometimes aggressive to con-specifics, and since they are not electro-sensory like BGK or the bulk of South American knives that would not cause issues. Same goes for clowns. P afer, Aba aba (Gymnarchus niloticus) and some of the SA knives are aggressive, aba aba actually kills just about whatever in most peoples experiences. Afer are just busy and also can be aggressive compared to other knives.

___James___

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2018
I wouldn’t. Whenever I see two knives in a tank their electrical senses seem to bother each other

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I wouldn’t. Whenever I see two knives in a tank their electrical senses seem to bother each other
South American knives tend to suffer from this. African brown knives, Afer knives and Asian knifefish don't make use of electrosensory organs so don't bother each other that way

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store