Can stunted Discus “recover”?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
So I posted here a few weeks ago regarding Discus in a planted tank and recently freed up a 30 gallon bare bottom aquarium. I will be growing out 6-8 discus in this 30 gallon for a few months until they get to “adult size” and then add them to my planted tank as several members told me this would be healthier for the fish and not stunt them. I have the opportunity to get a pretty good deal on a few discus from a local hobbiest who breeds them and want a general consensus on whether these discus can recover. The discus are juveniles 2-3 in and from the images, their eyes are def large and they look stunted and a bit skinny. I have the proper meds and will feed vigorously, but am wondering if these will be stunted for life or they are not too bad and can semi recover. I’m not looking for them to look show quality but if they will grow anymore and whether the eye to body ratio can go back to normal? I’m thinking of doing 2 water changes a week and feeding protein based diet. I know tlindsey tlindsey , ryansmith83 ryansmith83 and several other members advised me to skip on these but the price is too good to give up (basically 10 dollars a piece).

Additionally if anyone has any good experience of recovering stunted discus please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

AA9D14FE-81C1-47E3-8A0C-3135BE8A74DB.jpeg

2A1F447A-FDB2-4782-BFA0-6DB4FCEAC8DF.jpeg

18F49E21-CE22-4F49-BD15-DD223D9464A8.jpeg

F073B0C8-0DF4-4CF1-BE54-02CA49416E2A.jpeg

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This is just my opinion (and I don't claim to be expert, but did have discus for years) -
Discus can recover from a variety of things if given good conditions. From health issues including nasty cases of HITH, external and internal parasites, they can catch-up on growth, fatten up, color up, stop sickly head-down positions, etc., etc. They can become quite good looking after a time of improved conditions.
However, if one hopes for spectacular-looking adults, good conditions must be given from the beginning. Stunted, large-eyed specimens can become very nice looking animals, up to a point, something to be proud of, but usually not spectacular specimens.
On the other hand, who really cares? If you like them and care well for them, they will reward you by improving tremendously, looking good and make you proud of both themselves, and of your accomplishment. Isn't that what matters most?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
This is just my opinion (and I don't claim to be expert, but did have discus for years) -
Discus can recover from a variety of things if given good conditions. From health issues including nasty cases of HITH, external and internal parasites, they can catch-up on growth, fatten up, color up, stop sickly head-down positions, etc., etc. They can become quite good looking after a time of improved conditions.
However, if one hopes for spectacular-looking adults, good conditions must be given from the beginning. Stunted, large-eyed specimens can become very nice looking animals, up to a point, something to be proud of, but usually not spectacular specimens.
On the other hand, who really cares? If you like them and care well for them, they will reward you by improving tremendously, looking good and make you proud of both themselves, and of your accomplishment. Isn't that what matters most?
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I totally agree lol. It’s about personal enjoyment so since I can get the opportunity to find some for cheap I’ll probably take the offer and see how it goes! Thanks!

Michael Alebrtus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2020
+1

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store