Can this acrylic tank be buffed?

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Definitely! I have buffed out much worse. You might need to start with 1500 grit sand paper or even 800 or 1000 grit if there are deep scratches in the sides.

The bottom just looks like it needs a good cleaning. I would put a gallon of vinegar and 5 gallons of water (or more water to give you 6" or so) in the bottom and let it sit for several days. You can put a pump or powerhead in the bottom of the tank with the vinegar and water which will speed up dissolving the calcium deposits. You can also put a submersible heater in there with the pump to speed things up. Heat and circulation help dissolve the deposits faster. Scrub the deposits once a day to dislodge the softened surface stuff and expose the lower deposits for the vinegar to attack.

I have never seen a reason to have the bottom perfectly clear and buffed out to a fine degree, it just gets covered with media anyway.

A heavy vinegar concentration can burn your skin so you might want to wear some kitchen gloves.

Last edited:
Reactions: BichirKing

Wisconsinbadger

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2013
Milwaukee wisconsin
Definitely! I have buffed out much worse. You might need to start with 1500 grit sand paper or even 800 or 1000 grit if there are deep scratches in the sides.

The bottom just looks like it needs a good cleaning. I would put a gallon of vinegar and 5 gallons of water (or more water to give you 6" or so) in the bottom and let it sit for several days. You can put a pump or powerhead in the bottom of the tank with the vinegar and water which will speed up dissolving the calcium deposits. You can also put a submersible heater in there with the pump to speed things up. Heat and circulation help dissolve the deposits faster. Scrub the deposits once a day to dislodge the softened surface stuff and expose the lower deposits for the vinegar to attack.

I have never seen a reason to have the bottom perfectly clear and buffed out to a fine degree, it just gets covered with media anyway.

A heavy vinegar concentration can burn your skin so you might want to wear some kitchen gloves.
Thanks for the feedback! Was a little worried but this helped ease my mind. It’s currently got water in it so I know it doesn’t leak. I’m hoping with some TLC it’ll be good to go.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
That tanks in a lot better shape than a lot of used acrylics ive seen. A days worth of dedicated sanding and buffing should have it looking great. I wouldnt worry about the bottom personally.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I’ve been rebuilding acrylic tanks for a long time and wouldn’t think twice at tackling this project. especially clear on all sides. That’s hard to find. We got to fix that plumbing though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store