Can this setup overflow with no power?

Bengalcats888

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
Hi,

I am setting up a tank and filter indoors. Can this setup, when power is off to the pump, cause an overflow from filter in the water back into the tank?

Can water flow back through the pump intake due to gravity?

I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly so there are no leaks or overflows, very paranoid. :-|

Thanks

Tank_Filter_SetUp.PNG

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
If that diagram is accurate then i'd be very paranoid too, even with check valves, which have been known to fail if debris gets lodged in them.

I'm struggling to get my head round how your plumbing is set up. Your overflow from your display tank to your sump is fine, gravity fed through 2" pipe. But your return line should also be aiming at the surface, or thereabouts, of your display tank. This helps with surface agitation but more importantly if your pump goes off for whatever reason, you won't get a huge flush of water going from your display tank to your sump, which could result in flooding.

Your return line is going into your display tank near the bottom, so if your pump goes off, and your check valves fail, then you're in big trouble.

I don't have check valves in my systems and if any of my pumps go off all that will trickle down into my sumps is the run off from the display tank until the water level is flush with the drain, a few litres at most, which my sumps can handle very comfortably.

Maybe i'm reading your diagram wrong, someone else will chime in hopefully.

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
If that diagram is accurate then i'd be very paranoid too, even with check valves, which have been known to fail if debris gets lodged in them.

I'm struggling to get my head round how your plumbing is set up. Your overflow from your display tank to your sump is fine, gravity fed through 2" pipe. But your return line should also be aiming at the surface, or thereabouts, of your display tank. This helps with surface agitation but more importantly if your pump goes off for whatever reason, you won't get a huge flush of water going from your display tank to your sump, which could result in flooding.

Your return line is going into your display tank near the bottom, so if your pump goes off, and your check valves fail, then you're in big trouble.

I don't have check valves in my systems and if any of my pumps go off all that will trickle down into my sumps is the run off from the display tank until the water level is flush with the drain, a few litres at most, which my sumps can handle very comfortably.

Maybe i'm reading your diagram wrong, someone else will chime in hopefully.
I agree 100%. But to fix your problem you would have to move the return to the tank up to the top, or raise your sump above display tank.

Reactions: esoxlucius

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
If you plump the return pump over the top of your filter, and drill a syphon brake above the water level in it you should be fine.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
I always drilled a small hole in my return lines inside the tank to break siphon at a predetermined level. Just make sure you have enough extra space in your sump to handle what does drain in a power off scenario.

Reactions: Rob909
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store