Canister Filter Question

hey_wood1981

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
I’ve got a Fluval 407 with the spray bar in a standard 55g. I have to reduce flow as it seems to stress my fish out.

Would running it with the output nozzle, and pointing it so it flows the length of the aquarium be a better option? I want to run it without reduced flow for more water turnover
If so where should I place my heater? It’s currently horizontal, under the spray bar, and I feel that helps heat up the tank most efficiently.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

hey_wood1981

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
I run two eheims and have the spray bars running front to back…..
I’ve run the same setup in the past, with spray bars positioned just like that, with African cichlid tanks. Two Eheim classic 2217’s on 90 gallon aquariums.

I’m just trying to achieve maximum turnover without stressing my flowerhorn. It’s still small and only in a 55g while I grow it out. I had an angelfish community before, and the 407 was overkill with the spray bar. I ended up decreasing the flow by about 50% to keep everything happy.

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
I'm running 2 Eheim 2217's on a 90. I have the spray bars on the side walls (one at each opposite end of the tank). I have one bar directed upward to ripple/agitate the surface & the opposite bar pointing downward so water is discharged at a 45 degree angle downward. This creates a circular flow in the tank.

Reactions: hey_wood1981
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store