Cant decide on a canister!

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The eheim Pro 3e line is great so far. THe 2078 is actually a lot bigger than the 2076. So far it has been pretty good for mech, and awesome for bio. The Pro 3 is tough to beat for bio, as it can house a huge amount, although the 2060 holds more. What do you intend to keep in this tank that you are looking at such big filters?

siliconslik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2005
sacto
I'm planning on putting just one large beautiful cichlid in there and possibly a small bottom dweller like a bristlenose. Havent decided on what yet as I am looking for something that is more unusual than the oscar, jag, rd/midas...

My main reason for wanting a large canister is so that my water can be absolutely crytal clear without me having to clean the entire thing every week or so like I had to do with my ac 110's to achieve similar results. I want to be able to scoop out a glass of water from my tank, drop a couple of ice cubes in it and not be able to tell it from bottled!:naughty: I guess you can say I'm a perfectionist.

I just want a little overkill for peace of mind, assuming I can part with $400-$500 for filtration.

btw thanks for the replies everyone, I value your opinions

Popeye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2007
Delta British Columbia
If money is an object go with the Filstar I run two xp3s on my tanks and theyre great. I would go with an xp4 on your tank. Great filtration and lots of media space.:)

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
siliconslik;723737;723737 said:
I'm planning on putting just one large beautiful cichlid in there and possibly a small bottom dweller like a bristlenose. Havent decided on what yet as I am looking for something that is more unusual than the oscar, jag, rd/midas...

My main reason for wanting a large canister is so that my water can be absolutely crytal clear without me having to clean the entire thing every week or so like I had to do with my ac 110's to achieve similar results. I want to be able to scoop out a glass of water from my tank, drop a couple of ice cubes in it and not be able to tell it from bottled!:naughty: I guess you can say I'm a perfectionist.

I just want a little overkill for peace of mind, assuming I can part with $400-$500 for filtration.

btw thanks for the replies everyone, I value your opinions
If all you are looking for is clear water, a couple sponge filters will clear water better than any other filter on the market. If you still want the huge canister with crystal clear water, the FX5 fits to that category much better. I still would rather split with $20 for a Hydro V sponge filter, and run a small powerhead on it.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
dmopar74;723622;723622 said:
hey wyld ive been hearing how the pro series lacks in mech. but cant you just put a diff mech. media in to solve the prob or is it another issue?
Actually rather than replacing the mech media, a hydro sponge on the intake will do amazing things for the water clarity. Keep the eheims fish guard basket on the end, and slip the sponge over the basket.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store