Carbon and HITH

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
For some time I have been struggling with controling HITH on my big pike.
Water changes and salt have been the main tools.
I read an article recently discussing the possibiltiy that carbon in the filter can contribute to HITH. The theory being that it is removing essential minerals.
On a trial basis I removed the carbon from my filter. Three weeks later it looks like the HITH is subsiding?

Thoughts or comments? Has anyone else ever heard this?

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
I've come across it several times it hasnt been proven that it does induce hith but on that note i never use it any ways just to clear the tank of meds and after water changes to remove the chemicals used to neutralise clorine and choramine

GIjoe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
Austell, Ga.
Ditto. I never leave carbon in filters either. I think that may need to be researched more
extensively. Because I haven`t had HITH in maybe almost 15 years & it was an oscar. And I was leaving my carbon in all of the time back then. It also was believed that if you left the carbon in, that would performing its duties. But that it was harmless to tank & fish. But now its thought that it actually starts to release the same harmful toxins that it removed. HTH

dmuraski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2006
Ohio
I have observed carbon contributing to HITH in a number of different pike species and therefore religously avoid it in all tanks holding pikes. I have also read somewhere that chaper grade carbons are more likely to contribute to the problem, my observation is that for some pike species any carbon is not a good thing.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I dont use carbon for anything.
I had an oscar with BAD HITH (carbon in tank) and moved him to a bigger tank with no carbon and it's almost all gone.
I dont know if carbon was the cause, but there is no reason to use it unless you're removing stains or meds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store