Career Ideas

FAT daddy

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Rowland Heights
My best friend says I need to focus on my career but I really like my current job. I have health insurance and dental but I don't make enuff bank to live on my own. I get to work outside though and with other people who are all mostly nice. As of now I feel like I'm part of a team of 3 who walk around a parking lot that is about an acre big trying to slow traffic by pushing shopping carts back through to their homes. It's a feeling you can't really describe, I feel like I'm making a huge difference in the community and aside from the occasional mean customer and/or drama from my inability to control my feelings I can't complain. But I know I need to do something better and more lucrative. I have an associate's degree but I've been doing this cart pushing for so long and feel so much like I'm needed and wanted that finding a new career scares me...

Reactions: The Morning

FAT daddy

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Rowland Heights
Landscaping
Animal related field
R.E.
Helping Robert
Cleaning
GROWING at the 99 Cents Only Store
Education
Music
Health
Law enforcement
Comedy
Helping hand
Chef
Therapist

Any advice bro's?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What qualification do you have exactly? What would you like to do? What's your passion?

Reactions: xDestro

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Well if you are happy with your current job and living arrangements I wouldn't change things just based on your friends opinion.
Not sure what the pay is like for different jobs in your area but if you like working outside as part of a team then maybe look into landscaping or some kind of construction/labouring role. They pay well where I am and are chilled jobs mentally.
But if you've gone to the trouble of getting a degree it might be good to put it to use too, ultimately do what makes you happy but don't let fear of change hold you back.

Tonberry

Gambusia
Feb 12, 2011
NC
To echo what Ogertron3000 said: if you like your current job and it keeps you content and enjoying life then I wouldn't feel pressured to quit it.

However, if you find you do need or would like extra money to help get by then you could consider a side hustle.

There are a lot of options for side hustles.

Thrifting for stuff to flip on Ebay I hear can be decent. Although, I hear the Ebay platform is suffering lately. But Ebay's loss is Etsy's and Mercari's gain!

There's also work from home options you can use to make some extra cash. There's a mentality that they're all scams, but that is far from the case. There are a few subreddits for opportunities like this. /r/beermoney is the only one that comes to mind though. You can use communities like that to research work from home options to make sure they're legit based on others' experiences with them.

Later in life I've come to realise that society or friends or family might want you to be productive in a way they expect, but that isn't the only way to be productive. It's a terrible cliche, but think outside the box: you can do whatever you want man, and get this, you might even find there's money it!

Good luck!

00kevin

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2011
NJ
When you're young your resume should look like crazy art with giant swabs of random color paint. In my opinion, you're too young to even mention the word career, and entirely too young to make any decisions about what you want to do for the next couple decades of your life. Experience everything, build a network, learn cool things, then later pursue whatever job interested you the most.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love[1][2]

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
friend says I need to focus on my career
Hello; Your friend is correct.
I don't make enuff bank to live on my own
Hello; I guess this means you live with the parents??

I've been doing this cart pushing for so long and feel so much like I'm needed and wanted that finding a new career scares me...
Hello; Cart pushing is not a career, it is a low skill job. If you do not make enough to live on your own then it is not a very good low skill job. You have some possible choices.
One choice is to examine your spending and figure what you can do without, then do without the non vital stuff.

If living with the parents keep in mind they will not be able to carry you over time. I will not take you in so you need to get to making it on your own.

Likely should not waste any more money on college. Already too many college grads out there with big debt and jobs that do not pay the bills.

look for an apprientice (sp) position where you can learn a skill in the trades. Right now I am having a hard time finding a roofer. Seems there is opportunity in that area. Hard hot work.

are happy with your current job and living arrangements I wouldn't change things just based on your friends opinion.
Hello; making a living usually does not have anything to do with being happy. It has to do with earning enough. Sad thing I guess but few I have known have a dream job.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Get training for a armed guard card,u can get decent pay and don't seem to have a lot of competition.
"Fear not what can kill the body,but what can harm the soul" (think Jesus said that or something similar).

You should also have or try to obtain the following skills as they relate are what I call life skills:
Ability to work as a team.
Ability to operate at least 3 types of vehicles.
Ability to defend ones self or others (you should know at least 20 different ways to kill).
How to obtain food (hunt,fish,forage and dress/skin foods).
Swim .
Computer programming can't hurt I guess,
Remember every skill u learn betters not only yourself but your potential in gods world, for every skill u learn increases your power to change the world.
Be bold. Be fearless.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I have to ask how old you are first off.
Yes I do agree that focusing on a career is a good idea. I didn't focus on mine until I was 23 and regret not doing it sooner.

What are you interested in? Are you hands on? More of an office type? That' where you need to start with your thought process.

I started as an apprentice 6 years ago (not an apprentice anymore) and started working cnc which was ok but just not for me. I quit that job and went to a place that was manual machines doing alot of machine building and millwrighting and have been there ever since.

Personally I would look around your area for apprenticeships programs if you are a hands on type.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store