Carpeting plants without co2

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Thanks all for the advice. Makes sense and appreciate it! I think I’ll try dwarf chain sword, montecarlo, to see if montecarlo can do well. If not I can always just add it to my 10 gallon and throw a high light on it and try co2 ?.

Reactions: BIG-G and skjl47

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
So i did some more research and found 2 montecarlo plants for sale: 1 is on a coco fiber matt, the other is in a pot. I know usually its best to break the montecarlo into small portions and plant them, but I have a 14 in bichir in the tank and I'm afraid it will uproot the carpet. I also have 1-2 in of substrate in the center and would rather not spend 30 on another bag. Would the coco fiber matt be a better option? Would I still need a deep substrate if I got the matt. Thanks!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
So i did some more research and found 2 montecarlo plants for sale: 1 is on a coco fiber matt, the other is in a pot. I know usually its best to break the montecarlo into small portions and plant them, but I have a 14 in bichir in the tank and I'm afraid it will uproot the carpet. I also have 1-2 in of substrate in the center and would rather not spend 30 on another bag. Would the coco fiber matt be a better option? Would I still need a deep substrate if I got the matt. Thanks!
Some come on plastic matts. Always had to plant the matt eventually to ensure growth. Would need the substrate for planting as the final result. Roots can get up to 3+ inches so a deep substrate is somewhat needed.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Some come on plastic matts. Always had to plant the matt eventually to ensure growth. Would need the substrate for planting as the final result. Roots can get up to 3+ inches so a deep substrate is somewhat needed.
So unfortunately the red eco complete substrate I bought is out of stock. Any ideas on what to do? Could I add a rhizome Matt under the substrate. I could always buy a diff brand of substrate and shovel the one rn in there out and cap it afterwards but it would def be a hassle

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
So unfortunately the red eco complete substrate I bought is out of stock. Any ideas on what to do? Could I add a rhizome Matt under the substrate. I could always buy a diff brand of substrate and shovel the one rn in there out and cap it afterwards but it would def be a hassle
Regular potting soil with a cap will work.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Regular potting soil with a cap will work.
I would need to completely drain the tank down then correct? Also I found a website selling it so we are all good! I’ll post pics of the tank once I get the plants/ substrate next week!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I would need to completely drain the tank down then correct? Also I found a website selling it so we are all good! I’ll post pics of the tank once I get the plants/ substrate next week!
Yes it have drained. Any kind of soil w/o chemicals added will do but if u found something you like then that’ll work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store