Catfish newbie

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Now I’m confused.

It’s an 8x3 and we had a list of what the op likes. So I gave a list of other cats that could live for life (ish) in an 8x3 and wouldn’t get eaten by a bass or arrowana.
True, a couple on my list are a little on the large side when adult for an 8x3 but not as much as a bass or arowana.
You are right to be confused. Sorry. First, I recalled your input in the other concurrent thread with the same topic, where we shot down the largest catfish - https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/catfish.738905/ Second, I hadn't read your list carefully enough. Indeed many entries can be sensible, especially from your perspective, which differs a bit from mine, we both know it. Sorry. I muddled it up.

Anyhow, needless to say you go on at your angle. I just confused two threads, confused myself and then you.

I did mention to the OP that an 8x3 won't hold silver arowana and most/almost all pbass for life comfortably.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
So to sum it up you'd like an active catfish for an 8'x3' footprint tank and you find the following pleasing:

I looked at several catfish. In no particular order:
1. Ripsaw Catfish
2. Fisher's woodcat
3. Giant Bumblebee Catfish
4. Chocolate Pleco
5. Bolt Catfish
Some thought offers.

Lima shovelnose, can have several.
Pimelodus genus - blochii and similar.
Bolt catfish.
Medium Doradids like Centrodoras genus.
Medium Bagridae, such as larger species in the Mystus genus.
Heptapterus family, such as Rhamdia genus.
Schilbe family, grasscutter catfish.
Silurids, such as Ompok genus.
Suncat aka eclipse, as a group.
Larger, riverine synodontis.
Bullhead.
Medium giraffe catfish, Volta if Auchenoglanis, or the dwarf giraffe catfish Notoglanis and Paraglanis.

Again, very approximately, you'd aim for fish that wouldn't exceed 1.5 foot in max size.

Cichlid savage II

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Middle River, MD
What do you guys think about an L024 and/or an L027? I think they are both beautiful plecos! They both get to about 12 to 16 inches or so, will they be big enough not to get eaten by the bass or arowana?

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Hello C Cichlid savage II ,
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter gave you a ton of ideas for cats. Did you acquire any of these species yet? It looks like you may be still in the planning stage right now. With an 8'x3'x30" tank you should have plenty of options. Are the bass and Arowana the only occupants in the tank right now? The biggerthebetter knows his stuff. I would try a few cats he mentioned. GL
So to sum it up you'd like an active catfish for an 8'x3' footprint tank and you find the following pleasing:

Some thought offers.

Lima shovelnose, can have several.
Pimelodus genus - blochii and similar.
Bolt catfish.
Medium Doradids like Centrodoras genus.
Medium Bagridae, such as larger species in the Mystus genus.
Heptapterus family, such as Rhamdia genus.
Schilbe family, grasscutter catfish.
Silurids, such as Ompok genus.
Suncat aka eclipse, as a group.
Larger, riverine synodontis.
Bullhead.
Medium giraffe catfish, Volta if Auchenoglanis, or the dwarf giraffe catfish Notoglanis and Paraglanis.

Again, very approximately, you'd aim for fish that wouldn't exceed 1.5 foot in max size.

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've not mentioned any plecos because plecos is not my forte, nor my cup of tea. I hope pleco heads will advise you on this group. I'd imagine there are many candidates in there too just for the tank size and tank mate compatibility.

Cichlid savage II

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Middle River, MD
Hello C Cichlid savage II ,
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter gave you a ton of ideas for cats. Did you acquire any of these species yet? It looks like you may be still in the planning stage right now. With an 8'x3'x30" tank you should have plenty of options. Are the bass and Arowana the only occupants in the tank right now? The biggerthebetter knows his stuff. I would try a few cats he mentioned. GL
I'm still in the planning stage. I don't have any of the fish right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store