Catfish Question?

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
I just have been planning to add hoplo catfish to my stocking list for the pond that my orandas and other fancy goldfish are going into but I recently lost a beautiful and perfectly healthy comet goldfish after my golden channel catfish ( that I was told would not bother him) attacked and killed him; so I am cautious about getting catfish for the ponds, and feel I should ask around to get advice from people who already keep them to see if they would be safe to add ,and if they friendly and will coexist with my fancy goldfish peacefully, how would they fair in a koi pond?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Hoplos shouldnt bother your goldies, but wont grow nearly as large as your channel cat if you were looking for a sizable cat. They are cool hardy too so thats a plus.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I just have been planning to add hoplo catfish to my stocking list for the pond that my orandas and other fancy goldfish are going into but I recently lost a beautiful and perfectly healthy comet goldfish after my golden channel catfish ( that I was told would not bother him) attacked and killed him; so I am cautious about getting catfish for the ponds, and feel I should ask around to get advice from people who already keep them to see if they would be safe to add ,and if they friendly and will coexist with my fancy goldfish peacefully, how would they fair in a koi pond?
Welcome aboard
The Channel Catfish may kill th he Hoplo Catfish. Also may be too cold for th Hoplo Catfish depending on where you live.

Reactions: kno4te and BZMFK

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
My research said that hoplo catfish got about 6-8 inches long and I saw a few reports of them getting 10 inches which is fine either way, both ponds will be indoors so they won’t have to deal with the cold of a central ny winter; but would the koi or the Hi-fin banded sharks bully them?

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
Welcome aboard
The Channel Catfish may kill th he Hoplo Catfish. Also may be too cold for th Hoplo Catfish depending on where you live.
No longer have the golden channel catfish, unfortunately they died a few days after I separated them from the goldfish( The move was to sudden) so they are not doing to be a danger and both ponds are going to be indoors so they won’t have to deal with the local elements where I live ( central ny winters are brutal, even for koi and goldfish and the raccoons wood eat my fish, so no ponds are going outside ?

Reactions: tlindsey

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
My research said that hoplo catfish got about 6-8 inches long and I saw a few reports of them getting 10 inches which is fine either way, both ponds will be indoors so they won’t have to deal with the cold of a central ny winter; but would the koi or the Hi-fin banded sharks bully them?
Also, I am building a third indoor pond for a large catfish to satisfy my love for big catfish, 13’Lx13’Wx40”D, for one solo amazon red tail catfish, so I will have my big kitty where he/she isn’t going to eat anyone or anything he/she shouldn’t ☺ I may decide to increase the size though, don’t want it to be too small, the beautiful darling will get as big as I am tall easy!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hoplos are timid and harmless but hardy too. I'd not expect any interaction between the koi, high fin shark, and hoplo.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I have a solitary hoplo catfish in a 75 with a mixture of other fish that are slightly aggressive and he has never attacked anyone (I don’t think he physically can even if he wanted to) and he holds his own given his armor. He’s currently 5 inches.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store