Catfish suggestions?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter for replying! Im not sure if i can call myself a collector yet but im really starting to like cats recently :) i forgot to mention that the juruense catfish is in a 360 gallon tank along with 13" gatf, 13" armatus, 11" giraffe cat and a silver arowana. The jur is about 12" now. The tig and the granulated catfish is currently in a 75gal growout in which i plan to move them in the 360 gal when they get up to about 12" or so.

So i cant put the capapretum and the dourada in the same tank as the tig ang g-cat? If so, i have a spare 75 gal or 50 gal that i can grow them out in until they learn how to eat dead food
As Moe restated, cohabing a tig and a jur is unlikely to work out long term but we are aware of a few examples where it did happen.

My bet is neither capa, nor dourada / dorado will work out with other Brachies. Perhaps even when large either. You can try and let us know what happens, so we learn with you and from you too. @tyjo donated his 2' capa to Shedd Aquarium, if memory serves. It spent a couple months in acclimation and quarantine and was killed the first night in its new exhibit. We don't know details but I think it killed itself darting and bolting away from the new tank mates, who were likely exploring their new addition, and hitting walls, etc.

How about a albino channel cat, with frequent water changes they grow very well
I think it will outgrow all other cats and being a mouthy catfish, it will become a danger. That's why I recommended to stay away from mouthy cats. Brachies are thin and can be swallowed rather easily by an RTC, TSN, channel, etc. Just my thoughts.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
As Moe restated, cohabing a tig and a jur is unlikely to work out long term but we are aware of a few examples where it did happen.

My bet is neither capa, nor dourada / dorado will work out with other Brachies. Perhaps even when large either. You can try and let us know what happens, so we learn with you and from you too. @tyjo donated his 2' capa to Shedd Aquarium, if memory serves. It spent a couple months in acclimation and quarantine and was killed the first night in its new exhibit. We don't know details but I think it killed itself darting and bolting away from the new tank mates, who were likely exploring their new addition, and hitting walls, etc.

I think it will outgrow all other cats and being a mouthy catfish, it will become a danger. That's why I recommended to stay away from mouthy cats. Brachies are thin and can be swallowed rather easily by an RTC, TSN, channel, etc. Just my thoughts.
In my experience channel cats won't bother most other catfish regardless of size, but fish that aren't recognized as catfish are fair game when they can catch them

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Interesting tidbit. I've never cohabited my channels with small catfish, so I'd not know firsthand. I personally wouldn't want to gamble with precious catfish like large Brachies even if the gamble is safe. Who knows what can happen over their lifetime of decades.

I know blues and flatheads prey on bullheads in the wild efficiently but you are probably right that channels are more of the scavengers.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Interesting tidbit. I've never cohabited my channels with small catfish, so I'd not know firsthand. I personally wouldn't want to gamble with precious catfish like large Brachies even if the gamble is safe. Who knows what can happen over their lifetime of decades.

I know blues and flatheads prey on bullheads in the wild efficiently but you are probably right that channels are more of the scavengers.
Blues and especially flatheads are brutal, flatheads are very territorial and cannibalistic

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store