Cement render: safe cure period?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Greetings,
Our girl's cement pond is nearly done; how long to let final render cure before it's fish-safe?

Better to cure with water or dry? IE can head-start the plants, amphipods/ostractods & swordtails (etc) prior to oscars & arowana?
Does charcoal in the filter help with reducing chemistry impact of the cure? I appreciate that charcoal likely won't help with pH spikes.

If must be dry & more than a few weeks, I may do a one-coat with leftover WestSystem (epoxy) to keep the water&cement separated for the meantime. Our girl's well & truly outgrown her aquarium & getting desperate for her new digs.

V= 5'x10'x5'deep to the main tank, with an 8" submerged rim for emergent plants in pots.

Thanks in advance,

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
What type of cement did you use? Just curious if you used bags of cement or had a pro 'shoot' the cement to form the pond.

My understanding of curing cement is it needs to stay moist for at least a week either by wetting it and covering with plastic or daily sprinkling depending on the temperature. I've also seen references to filling the cement pond with water for a week, drain, refill for a week, drain, refill, check pH and repeat as necessay but that may depend on the cement type/mixture used.

A couple Koi forums I quickly checked out offer a couple different suggestions on the proper way to cure cement ponds before adding fish and the timeline varies from 2 weeks to 4 weeks.

The problem with using cement for ponds or for that matter cement DIY backgrounds is the pH goes sky high as the lime is released.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Good ol' Portland type-1 with an igneous river sand & sharp crushed limestone for the matrix. Bottom's poured & 2weeks cured (with BRC steel) and walls are plywood framed, BRC'd & 3/4 filled with cement. We'll finish the pour through first part of this week, then final render & steel-float to lighten the colour/tone & make watertight, hopefully by the end of this week. I may add a fumed silica to that final render if I can get it, and if I was doing this myself I'd to a layer of fibreglass under the final & steel-float, but this part ain't my show... and I'm famously paranoid :) Our guy's been #2 mason on my wife's team for a decade & done plenty of swimming pools & potable water-tanks, so I'm not worried.

The lime & pH spikes are my worry, yes. Three-weeks can work - I expect filling to cure then drain to refill will be the way, which will also give time & waste-water sinking-soak to the logwood & bamboo. Rainy season now, I doubt i'd get it dry enough to set an epoxy layer anyways.

Shotcrete would have been far easier & far more design-flexible, but the machinery was ungainly to & for the site. Costly also.
The wetting you refer to keeps it from drying before curing to crack (as I understand it), but we're pretty humid. We also get around that with the final render.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: C. Breeze and deeda

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Thanks for the info, very detailed!

What is your #2 mason saying in regards to curing and how they deal with potable water tanks curing or is that not part of his repertoire?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
I'll ask him, but he's not likely to have an opinion beyond first water tasting funny as it won't be a human-health issue (maybe I ring Ministry of Health).
I'll give it a fill & drain through that first fortnight+, maybe run the rain-gutter overflow to & through. Final(?) fill will get tested for a few days before fish & root-wood, bamboo & almond leaves will buffer regardless.
Note: we cast cement anchors for a recent coral nursery install that kept bubbling (one-one tiny bubbles) for best part of a month. I do'know if this was curing off-gas or bubbles in my mix :)

Reactions: deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store