Chaeto Reactors compared to Algae Scrubbers

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
With more people wanting to use natural filtration for their tanks, we are going to look at the two main types of units that you can put on your system: Chaeto reactors (or "algae reactors") and algae turf scrubbers (ATS), especially as they pertain to freshwater.

We won’t be looking at refugiums however (yes they are for FW also), since those have mostly a different purpose. This will be a multi-part post; the next post will start with the basics, so if you’d like anything in particular to be covered, let us know.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
J jaws7777 kno4te kno4te tarheel96 tarheel96 Tomt37 Tomt37 markstrimaran markstrimaran
Assembling the nitrate freaks.

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
With more people wanting to use natural filtration for their tanks, we are going to look at the two main types of units that you can put on your system: Chaeto reactors (or "algae reactors") and algae turf scrubbers (ATS), especially as they pertain to freshwater.

We won’t be looking at refugiums however (yes they are for FW also), since those have mostly a different purpose. This will be a multi-part post; the next post will start with the basics, so if you’d like anything in particular to be covered, let us know.
I was thinking about doing an algae reactor and putting java moss in it but couldn't find much details about how much of a nitrate sponge java moss really is

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'd say actual algae is better, grows faster too

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Algae turf scrubbers seem to do better than chaeto or similar reactors. For both fresh and salt systems from people I've spoken with.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What type of algae could you grow in a reactor that would be comparable to chaeto
Well it grows a lot of green algae.

I don't know much about chaeto but I know that scrubbers can work very well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store