"Chahlie" The Fly River Turtle - Watch me grow

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Introducing Chahlie,

A male Fly River Turtle. Diet consists of mostly veggies : Kale, dandelion, tomatoes, grapes, pears, romaine, squash and apple. We supplement with vitachem soaked seafood (The stingray food mix) and algae wafers.

Currently housed in a 110 gallon, the little fella currently has plenty of space. I will build a large acrylic tank specifically for Chahlie once he outgrows his current home in a few years. Tank conditions are kept per Oddball's recommendations. 84F degrees, marine salt is added for mineral content, filter media contains aragonite sand and crushed oyster shells for added hardness. Tank has a 5.0 UVB bulb just above water surface, unfiltered by glass. Chahlie is given sunbaths whenever possible. Tank is kept barebottom for maintenance purposes, and to prevent the turtle from swallowing substrate.

I have read horror stories about FRT going ballistic and randomly becoming killers. I ignored these warnings and Chahlie was originally housed with stingrays and immediately began biting chunks out of discs. Chahlie will be kept alone for life for his safety and the safety of any potential tankmates.

:)

Hope you enjoy!

IMG_1357.jpg

Last edited:

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Congrats to you,my brother.Really nice looking young frt,I hope to have one someday.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Congrats to you,my brother.Really nice looking young frt,I hope to have one someday.
Thank you! We are happy and pleased to have found such a healthy and handsome specimen. Now if I do my job right, it should live longer than I do.

Agreed your FRT is looking good and sounds like you are well prepared to care for it.
I had been looking for years for one. We will do our best to help it live a long and happy life!

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
That is so awesome Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid !! Been a dream of mine to acquire one of these magnificent creatures! Congrats man...and congrates to Chahlie for lucking out and ending up in good hands!

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Sad to hear he didn't mix well with pancakes, at least Chahlie didn't bite your finger.
Bingo! I was unsure of sex when I received him, and hadn't found oddball's thread. My partner has to name every pet. So we needed a unisex name until I was certain of the sex. That hilarious video is what spawned the name:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store