Channa Andreo

Catlas Se7en

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2018
Is this species of snakehead legal in the US? Is there any species legal in the US? Bowfin are my next alternative if not.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
All illegal over there. I'd look into that bowfin

Boyette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2018
Japan
It's ridiculous that there's a ban on every channa species. The dwarf species wouldn't pose any environmental threat at all. Would be nice to get a petition started to allow certain channa species (mainly dwarf) to be imported and owned in the U.S. again.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Get a red wolf fish, very cool channa alternative. Get a black if you have space.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
It's ridiculous that there's a ban on every channa species. The dwarf species wouldn't pose any environmental threat at all. Would be nice to get a petition started to allow certain channa species (mainly dwarf) to be imported and owned in the U.S. again.
Then this has to be monitored and that's time and money for something that generally "is already a problem". I doubt that it'd get far..

Boyette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2018
Japan
Then this has to be monitored and that's time and money for something that generally "is already a problem". I doubt that it'd get far..
We'll never know until we make an attempt. I'm pretty sure that the only two nuisance species are the channa marulius and channa argus. I'm from Maryland, 15 minutes away from the pond where the channa argus were introduced. Up until then I can recall seeing channa micropeltes offered in a variety of lfs. The reason why we don't see that particular species thriving in our water systems, is due to it not being compatible with the conditions.

I understand that it may be some sort of stipulations attached to owning them if they do decide to legalize them again. Maybe only importing fish at a size that's identifiable. I'm sure with a little effort, they could come with a better solution other than being lazy and outlawing them all.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
While true I am sure there are environments in the US where other channa species can survive, there certainly is in my end of the world.

I understand that it may be some sort of stipulations attached to owning them if they do decide to legalize them again. Maybe only importing fish at a size that's identifiable. I'm sure with a little effort, they could come with a better solution other than being lazy and outlawing them all
Unfortunately that's how things are done. Blanket bans make life much easier for border agents and stops people from getting fish under the guise of another species

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store