Channa Micropeltes won't eat

Miks786

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Hey guys I have a Channa Micropeltes that won't eat anything besides beef cubes...

I know that beef cubes is not good for them and has no nutrition for him so I have stopped feeding him that but he won't take shrimp,pellets,blood worms nothing..He starves for more then a week but won't even look at that food..

What do I do? Any suggestions?

Gazham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
England
How big is he? He a should be able to go for 2 weeks without food if he's large. If he's still growing, Micropeltes are picivores. He is better off eating fish/prawns/mussels. If he really doesn't want to eat anything else, I would ween him off the beef using feeder fish, then try and get him onto sprats/smelt. I've never known a snakehead to turn down live food

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
How did he end up eating beef in the first place? :(
A fish that size can go months without eating without being at a danger, so even though it's hard starving your fish, do it.

If he won't take what you give him, take it out of the water and try again 2 days later.

The aforementioned suggestion works too, but has the negative aspect of removing a bad habit to give him a new one. Especially when you know how much a micro eats, that's a whole lot of live fish to quarantine...

I hope you listened to our advices, but I have to ask anyway: What is the tank size, and more importantly, what else is in the tank with him?

Miks786

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Ok thanks guys...He is +- 20cm...He wasn't eating before so someone told me too try beef cubes which I did and he loved it but did some reading after that and found out its not good for him so I stopped....Im sure if I put feeders into the tank he will eat but didn't want too go that route..

He is in a 3.2 meter tank with silver arowana, jardini, RTC...Will take your advice and starve him now

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Don't bother, we told you countless times to not put him with tankmates, let alone intimidating tankmates, but you keep switching tanks, switching your population, starving him will only kill him.

You put a fish that either kills or gets bullied to death in with two of the most notorious bullies and one of the most voracious fish in the world.

Until you put him in a tank alone, with plants and covers, he won't get any better, or at least won't get better in the long run.

If you want him happy, and more importantly alive, take the proper actions and give this true monster its own tank.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Channa are illegal.

upload_2017-9-27_22-49-48.png

Oddball Oddball HarleyK HarleyK JK47 JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Channa are illegal.

View attachment 1276119

Oddball Oddball HarleyK HarleyK JK47 JK47
Are you referencing legality in South Africa or the United States?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Are you referencing legality in South Africa or the United States?
South African list, South African law, South African member.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store