Cheap easy filters using pop bottles

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
Anyone here make these? do you find them effective? ALso lots of extra aquaclear pieces but most dont work. I wonder if i can do something with them? have so many pumps and air stones.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Anyone here make these? do you find them effective? ALso lots of extra aquaclear pieces but most dont work. I wonder if i can do something with them? have so many pumps and air stones.

Never made one but they work. Lots of DIY vids on YouTube and DIYFISHKeepers Uaru Joey.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Did something similar. A bottle with holes in the top filled with matrix, then a long pipe underneath with a sponge around then an airstone inside to draw water through the sponge, then the matrix and out the top. Worked well enough for me

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
I think a power head filter would work well. 1st layer filter sponge (poly fiber you can get from hobby store) , 2nd bio (gravel) and 3rd to keep filter media in place mechanical.

Homer Siped

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2015
Im not at home at the moment, will have wife send me pics when she gets off work. I built a small filter using a small pump no idea where i got it but similar to powerhead, and a gatorade bottle. I drilled holes in bottom section and put gravel in that part, then a pillow stuffing in top part. Siliconed the pump to the cap. I have it in a 30 gallon turtle tank and it does amazingly well. Only part that sucks is getting old stuffing out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store