Cheap, Easy, Low Light Plants?

DaFroggy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Madison, Wisconsin
Beginner at plants and looking for cheap, easy and low light plants for a 10 gallon. Wanted to know what others think is a good idea because my local pet store people have no clue. Also wanted to know what inhabs I can have with a male betta. Thanks

Reactions: GamerChick5567

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
what size tank? what lighting? what substrate? do you plan to fertilize? do you care to aquascape or just put in plants randomly? looking for stem type plants? rhizomes? rosette?

there are soooooo many options I can go on and on about different plants. I have kepts more species then I care to count.

If i need what you got as for setup and what your expectations are then I can give you a more dialed in answer. Keep in mind its best to put looks of plants in as opposed to just a few.

Reactions: DaFroggy

DaFroggy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Madison, Wisconsin
I plan to just plant it, not too randomly. It's a 10 gallon tank. I have a cheap co2 set up, yeast and sugar. My substrate is just fine gravel. I use this thing called "plant food". I have one male betta but looking for tankmates. Have reptile lamps with lights that produce around 300 watts. Someone told me it's a cheap way for a planted tank. Low on funds and a beginner.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
so you just want to add more plants to your tank? i remember you asking about the brown leaves.

Look at other anubias, java fern, cryptocorynes, floating plants, asian ambulia, water sprite, bolbitis, rotala rotundifolia.

that should be plenty

DaFroggy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Madison, Wisconsin
Thank you, do you have any tips on inhabitants for my tank? I have a male betta but do want other fish. Also wonder if there are fish I should avoid while having plants.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Java moss, java fern, and anubias. They can all be grown under your typical T8 lights.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Depends on your betta. I've had bettas who can live with other small fish that don't have flowing fins, and others (like mine currently) that can only live with a nerite snail.

10 gallons isn't big enough for much - you might try chili / mosquito rasboras. Verrry small, quick, don't have flowing fins, are pretty and don't produce much bioload. You also might try dwarf cories.

I've had some bettas kill shrimp, others no problem.

You'll need a backup plan (aka another tank) set up for any fish you get just in case it doesn't work out, especially since you already have the Betta in the tank (vs. adding it last to an established tank of fish/shrimp.)

DaFroggy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Madison, Wisconsin
don't add a fish.. will not be a good idea. Look at large shrimp or snails or maybe a african dwarf frog, but read up as I don't know how compatible they are.
Depends on your betta. I've had bettas who can live with other small fish that don't have flowing fins, and others (like mine currently) that can only live with a nerite snail.

10 gallons isn't big enough for much - you might try chili / mosquito rasboras. Verrry small, quick, don't have flowing fins, are pretty and don't produce much bioload. You also might try dwarf cories.

I've had some bettas kill shrimp, others no problem.

You'll need a backup plan (aka another tank) set up for any fish you get just in case it doesn't work out, especially since you already have the Betta in the tank (vs. adding it last to an established tank of fish/shrimp.)
How does this look? Betta is doing well with a small bristlenose pleco and a few albino Cory cats. He nibbled the cories a bit but they're used to each other and fine now.

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store