Cherry shrimp died right away in new owner's aquarium

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
In November I sold 20 cherry shrimp to someone locally. After about a month I decided to contact them. It was my first live animal sale and I wanted to put my mind at ease before selling more. They replied and told me they died within a couple hours of getting them home.

I keep the shrimp in a 10 gallon aquarium at room temperature(68-72). They are overcrowded and were overcrowded at the time I sold them. They were overcrowded a long time before that so unless this guys aquarium is really bad, I'd think mine has to be worse. I do water changes 2 or more times a week trying to compensate. I think ammonia and nitrite were around zero the last time I checked, but it has been awhile. They are at my dad's house as far as checking now.

So far all I know is the guy said his aquarium temperature is around 74-76 and that their tank has been up for about a year(mine is approaching a year as well). I also asked if they use dechlorinator, if they do regular water changes, if fish attacked them, and if they floated the bag when they got it(waiting on response).

I'm thinking it could be an issue with the temperature difference(maybe water chemistry) or with how I transported the shrimp. When I transported the shrimp I brought them in a fish bowl so they could see them and then poured them into a gallon ziplock bag. There were some stragglers in the bowl so I used room temp bottled water to wash them out into the bag. It was only a small amount compared to the tank water they were in, but maybe it only takes a small amount? So II'm thinking those actions might've hurt or stressed them as well.

Since I think they were being honest I offered a refund or replacements. I know there are too many variables but I wanted to see what others thought likely killed them. Worried this will happen again if I try to sell or rehome more and I really need to because they are overcrowded.

Reactions: J. H.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Welcome! Without drip acclimation shrimp will easily die off, I do minimum 3 hours acclimation for my shrimps :)

Did he tell you how he acclimated, and what fish he has?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
In November I sold 20 cherry shrimp to someone locally. After about a month I decided to contact them. It was my first live animal sale and I wanted to put my mind at ease before selling more. They replied and told me they died within a couple hours of getting them home.

I keep the shrimp in a 10 gallon aquarium at room temperature(68-72). They are overcrowded and were overcrowded at the time I sold them. They were overcrowded a long time before that so unless this guys aquarium is really bad, I'd think mine has to be worse. I do water changes 2 or more times a week trying to compensate. I think ammonia and nitrite were around zero the last time I checked, but it has been awhile. They are at my dad's house as far as checking now.

So far all I know is the guy said his aquarium temperature is around 74-76 and that their tank has been up for about a year(mine is approaching a year as well). I also asked if they use dechlorinator, if they do regular water changes, if fish attacked them, and if they floated the bag when they got it(waiting on response).

I'm thinking it could be an issue with the temperature difference(maybe water chemistry) or with how I transported the shrimp. When I transported the shrimp I brought them in a fish bowl so they could see them and then poured them into a gallon ziplock bag. There were some stragglers in the bowl so I used room temp bottled water to wash them out into the bag. It was only a small amount compared to the tank water they were in, but maybe it only takes a small amount? So II'm thinking those actions might've hurt or stressed them as well.

Since I think they were being honest I offered a refund or replacements. I know there are too many variables but I wanted to see what others thought likely killed them. Worried this will happen again if I try to sell or rehome more and I really need to because they are overcrowded.

Don't beat yourself up over what happened but possibly their water parameters could have been unstable even when someone says an aquarium has been up and running for a year that doesn't mean their aquarium is suitable for shrimp. Btw calling and checking up was a great business thing to do imo most don't do that.

Reactions: J. H. and banjocat

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
Welcome! Without drip acclimation shrimp will easily die off, I do minimum 3 hours acclimation for my shrimps :)

Did he tell you how he acclimated, and what fish he has?
Thanks for the reply. If he goes with replacements I'll bring up drip acclimating. Still haven't gotten a reply but I sent him a message at 2am.

Reactions: tlindsey

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
Don't beat yourself up over what happened but possibly their water parameters could have been unstable even when someone says an aquarium has been up and running for a year that doesn't mean their aquarium is suitable for shrimp. Btw calling and checking up was a great business thing to do imo most don't do that.
Thanks, I would've contacted them sooner but thought if things had been this bad that they would have contacted me.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Forgot to mention my aquarium also is filled with tons of java moss and duckweed which I'm sure helps some with the overcrowding. Still are way too many. There probably are at least 70+ shrimp, 2 guppies, and 2 endler's(I think. Look like mini orange guppies and like to hang out with the guppies).

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
As long as you don't overfeed and keep up on cleaning that's not too many in there :)

Shrimp are extremely sensitive to shifting or bad water quality so I'd make sure to drip. Few drops per second for a few hours and good to go

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
As long as you don't overfeed and keep up on cleaning that's not too many in there :)

Shrimp are extremely sensitive to shifting or bad water quality so I'd make sure to drip. Few drops per second for a few hours and good to go
Ok thanks. Not sure if my dad overfeeds. He insists on giving them an algae wafer a day. I keep telling him he can probably do it every other day or give them a half a wafer since they take so long to eat it.

The thing that confuses me about drip acclimating is after time wouldn't the bucket you are dripping into have a lower temperature than most aquariums since the flow is so slow. I haven't drip acclimated before but I've floated while adding a little tank water at a time(larger amount than a drip though.) I can see how drip would be better, but I was wondering about the temperature difference. I just read about drip acclimating on this site https://www.theshrimpfarm.com/posts/acclimating-shrimp/ but maybe you do it different.

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
He just replied and says he floated them for awhile. He didn't drip acclimate, but says he added about a half a cup(118 milliliters) of tank water. Considering there was probably at least half a gallon(2 liters) of water in the bag, that isn't much.

He said to not worry about it but he might want shrimp after he moves. I'll offer free replacements then(since I worry my transport mistakes could've contributed) but inform him he should drip acclimate.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I do every third day, every day leads to high nitrates.

Drips are most important for the water parameters of dissolved solids and minerals which is more important than temp. Make sure there's sufficient hardness too. I've lost basically all of my shrimpies due to soft water after supplier issues and bacteria or some other conditions caused by high nitrate a month back. Seems like the dude didn't acclimate well enough, you seem to have A grade service though! :D

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Invertebrate are 10 times more sensitive than fish on water chemistry such as TDS, metals, nitrate, and hardness. Some tap water contain heavy metals such as zinc, lead and copper that are toxic to shrimp but OK for fish or human consumption. Under those conditions, not sure if a few hours drip acclimation will necessarily help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store