Chicxulub's Nature Preserve (carnivorous plants, orchids, etc)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Hey everyone!

About a year and a half ago I bought a huge tract of land a few miles east of the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge, right on the FL/GA line. The property consists of a very small xeric (dry) area, is mostly a mesic-hygric ecotone in a pine flatwoods prarie habitat. A mesic-hygric ecotone is the area where the elevation changes from partly saturated but well drained to mostly saturated and almost always wet. This is the ideal area for high biological diversity in the Southeastern Coastal Plain, in particular for carnivorous plants.

Thus far, I've only got a few percent of the property cleared (which still constitutes several acres), but I've found all kinds of cool stuff. Mesic flatwoods like this are supposed to be burned (or encounter some sort of disturbance to mimic the effect of fire) every 1-5 years. This property was logged out to remove the pines about ten years ago, and hasn't been mowed or burned since. The ecosystem is distressed and will require quite a bit of work, but all the cool native plants that are supposed to be here are still present. There are several rare, threatened or endangered species present, some of which are poorly documented or thought not to exist in this part of the country.

The skyline:
skyline.jpg

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Anyway, on to a partial inventory. This only covers a handful of the more interesting plants confirmed to be present. There are likely quite a few other plants present that I just haven't encountered yet. I don't have pics of all of these readily available.

To start, we'll cover the carnivorous plants.

Pitcher plants:
Yellow pitcher plant, Sarracenia flava
sarracenia flava.jpg

sarracenia flava flower.jpg

Giant hooded pitcher plant, Sarracenia minor var okefenokeensis
sarracenia minor var okefenokeensis.jpg

Hooded pitcher plant, Sarracenia minor var minor
sarracenia minor var minor.jpg
sarracenia minor flower.jpg

Parrot pitcher plant, Sarracenia pscittacina
sarracenia psittacina.jpg

sarracenia psittacina flower.jpg

Parrot x Hooded hybrid, Sarracenia x formosa (this one is more S. formosa x S. pscittacina than a "pure" S. formosa however)
sarracenia formosa x pscitticina.jpg
sarracenia formosa flower.jpg

Sundews:
Spoonleaf sundew, Drosera intermedia
drosera intermedia.jpg

Pink sundew, Drosera capillaris
drosera capillaris.jpg

Broadleaf sundew, Drosera brevifolia
drosera brevifolia.jpg

Longarm sundew, Drosera cf. "long arm" (taxonomy disputed)
drosera cf long arm.jpg

Butterworts:
First up a pic of the rosette; they all look basically the same when not in flower-
pinguicula no flower.jpg

Yellowflower butterwort, Pinguicula lutea
pinguicula lutea flower.jpg

Blueflower butterwort, Pinguicula caerulea
pinguicula caerulea flower.jpg

Dwarf butterwort, Pinguicula pumila
pinguicula pumila flower.jpg

Bladderworts:
Utricularia subulata
Utricularia juncea
Utricularia cornuta

They're not really photogenic, so no pics

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Now on to a few of the cooler non-carnivorous plants...

Orchids:
White fringed orchid, Platanthera conspicua
platanthera conspicua.jpg

Yellow fringed orchid, Platanthera ciliaris
platanthera ciliaris.jpg

Hybrid fringed orchid, Platanthera x lueri (cross of the above two)
platanthera x leuri.jpg

White reinorchid, Platanthera nivea
Grass pink, Calopogon tuberosa
Rose pogonia, Pogonia ophioglossoides
Water spider orchid, Habenaria repens
habenaria repens.jpg

Lilies:
Pine lily, Lilium catesbaei
lilium catesbaei.jpg

Rain lily, Zephyranthes atamasca
zephyranthes atamasca.jpg

Others:
Purple honeycomb head, Balduina atropurpurea. The rarest thing on this list, found in only about dozen sites in the entire world.
balduina atropurpurea.jpg

With the far more common yellowcomb head (B. uniflora)
balduina atropurpurea and uniflora.jpg

Night flowering petunia, Ruellia noctiflora. Extremely endangered, was thought to be completely extinct in the NE Florida/SE Georgia region as it hadn't been spotted since 1967, but was found in a handful of sites (to include this one) in the 2010s.
ruellia noctiflora.jpg

Last edited:

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Awesome! I have become more interested in plants lately, amazing to see the diversity we have here in the U.S. Especially that pitcher plant, and the hybrid orchid, stand out to me. Good luck working thru all that land!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Awesome! I have become more interested in plants lately, amazing to see the diversity we have here in the U.S. Especially that pitcher plant, and the hybrid orchid, stand out to me. Good luck working thru all that land!

Thank you! This is a labor of love for me. I feel privileged to be able to own and eventually live on such an amazing plot of land :)

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Very cool, stuff like that is right up my alley. Outside of fishing & aquariums my other main enjoyment is bonsai/gardening so I always like to see pictures of plant species we don't have in this part of the country up here.

Being on the Fl/Ga line do you have any Bougainvillea on your land? If so those can make some excellent bonsai if you weren't aware of that and ever wanted to try your hand at it. I've got a couple myself here and really like that species.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Very cool, stuff like that is right up my alley. Outside of fishing & aquariums my other main enjoyment is bonsai/gardening so I always like to see pictures of plant species we don't have in this part of the country up here.

Being on the Fl/Ga line do you have any Bougainvillea on your land? If so those can make some excellent bonsai if you weren't aware of that and ever wanted to try your hand at it. I've got a couple myself here and really like that species.
Bougainvillea isn't a native to this part of the world, so I'm fortunate to not have any present. They're from SE Asia and Indonesia. :)

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I've always thought they were native to Florida. I have a friend that lives in the upper part around Gainsville area and he says they are all over around him. Must be just people planting them that he is talking about then. I know he removed one from his mother in laws house last year that was huge, I would have loved to have it myself for my collection of bonsai lol

Reactions: Chicxulub
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store