Chinchilla anyone?

WaterWaffle

Exodon
MFK Member
May 19, 2018
I didn't know where else to go for advice so here's my dilemma. I am really hoping to adopt a chinchilla from a coworker who doesn't have the time to take care of it anymore. It's not a 100% guarantee but there is a very high chance I will take it. Anyway, this will be the poor guy's fourth home and he's been mishandled by children in the past so he's not comfortable around people and I've been told has a tendency to bite new people. Is there any hope that I will ever be able to bond with or pet him? Any resources or other forums that I could get information for the training of my possible new Pet? I know it will take a lot of time and I'm willing to be as patient as I need to.

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Well if it poses as a threat, with aggression. I would take caution and wear the proper gloves. Time will tell and if it persist, i would just re-home it to someone that could handle the pet. Now if it does come around and accept you,. Embrace it and give the animal some good quality time.

WaterWaffle

Exodon
MFK Member
May 19, 2018
Well if it poses as a threat, with aggression. I would take caution and wear the proper gloves. Time will tell and if it persist, i would just re-home it to someone that could handle the pet. Now if it does come around and accept you,. Embrace it and give the animal some good quality time.
I will for sure wear gloves although I would never pick it up unless he volunteered to go into my hands. I've been told he's never drawn blood but I guess I will just have to see how bad his temperament is when I get to meet him in person.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Hannah, you might get more info by checking out a dedicated Chinchilla forum as there seems to be quite a few online.

Good luck if you decide to adopt!

Reactions: tlindsey

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I will for sure wear gloves although I would never pick it up unless he volunteered to go into my hands. I've been told he's never drawn blood but I guess I will just have to see how bad his temperament is when I get to meet him in person.
I’ve heard Chinchillas are pretty unstable. My buddy who works at a pet store tells me a lot of times he’ll get people trying to return or exchange theirs because they’re all cute at first then they bring it home and they start attacking them. Not only that, they have a serious bite.

WaterWaffle

Exodon
MFK Member
May 19, 2018
Hannah, you might get more info by checking out a dedicated Chinchilla forum as there seems to be quite a few online.

Good luck if you decide to adopt!
You wouldn't happen to know of any in specific would you? I tried to find one but couldn't.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Maybe it'll bond eventually maybe not. Take it slow, give it a nice room to play around in and you just sit in the middle or something, let her do its thing and get comfortable with you over time. Being there with your chinchilla while she takes her dust baths is good. My friend's chilla hated me for a long time but one day after a couple months let me touch her and what not

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I use to have chinchillas.
I fenced off half of a spare room for them in addition to their cage that went to the ceiling. They had a lot of space. If you give them time they can come around, but some don’t. One female I had that was previously a breeder never came around. She wasn’t a biter, but she didn’t like to be held.
I found it best to take time with them in a small room(bathroom) and just hang out. Eventually if you stay still they will climb on you and get comfortable with you.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
never had one but a few wild animals, presently Parrots and Macaw. "Wild animal" is the key word here. They are not domesticated any more than parrots are even if been captive bread. Abused, neglected wild animals are painfully slow to come around to bonding, and I mean painfully in both amount of time and pain, IE. bit. I have a great sulfer crested cockatoo that was abused, He will take treats from me with out a problem. say hello and display great, dance with me. Touching is not an option. Not unless you like pain and blood. This does not mean she is not bonded to me, she just will not let herself be touched. Love her just the same.

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store