Chocolate Cichlid (Hypselecara temporalis)

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
Thanks for the replies, I don't plan on keeping them together long term. Also I know the ph is a bit high for chocs, but have read that frequent water changes, UV sterilization and good water quality can minimize the effects of high ph over time. I've read and followed both of your threads on chocolates and am familiar with their needs.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
My water is hard with a 8.2 PH & the Chocs do just fine. It probably would be much better to keep them in soft water with a neutral to slightly acidic Ph, especially for breeding purposes.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
So my lfs just happened to have a handful of tiny 1" chocolates in last week for only $12.99 each. I couldn't resist and brought home a pair. I only have the 1 tank with a handful of peacocks and a yellow lab and a taiwan reef hap in it, but I've been on the fence with those guys anyway. So far they don't even acknowledge the chocs, will moniter closely and may be trading in those africans before long if anything starts going sideways. Very excited to be in the chocolate game, will keep you all posted...
I would rehome the miscellaneous Africans. My female is very food aggressive and any time I hand feed I get bit. The male is more shy. The SDs probably are partially to blame as they are very food aggressive.

Reactions: Cal Amari

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
Chocolates don't do well with boisterous tankmates. They make them more reclusive. Chocolates feed primarily at the surface. Aggressive eaters greatly interfere with the Chocolates feeding.
The Africans really aren't suitable tankmates for your new Chocolates.
Are loaches too boisterous for chocolate (question above about putting them in a 550). I do know my festum get a bit annoyed at time with the loaches - esp at night when the lights go out - the loaches don't harm them but they get nervous with their constant swimming the length of the aquarium. I'm actually working on a dense of plants (vals) for them to hide or rest away from the loaches.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
My Loaches are active day & night. They don't appear to bother the Chocolates.
Syncrossus Helodes aka Tiger Loach, would be about the only Botia Loach to avoid. Those monsters would likely attack anything.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I've been waiting for the juvenile chocolates to be big enough to move into the 260g with the other two. I removed the SDs over a week ago and have really appreciated the change. 1710898666223.png

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although their may be average grow rates, in closed systems like aquariums, the rate of growth often depends on water change schedules that gets rid of the grown inhibiting hormones produced by certain territorial species, that normal filtration doesn't deal with......i.e.
If you do 1 x 50% water change per week, your fish will grow slower than if you do 2 x 50% water changes per week, or ......
one of the reasons in discus hatcheries, (in order to get spawns to sellable size faster,) 90% water changes are routinely done daily.

Reactions: celebrist

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
Although their may be average grow rates, in closed systems like aquariums, the rate of growth often depends on water changes schedule that gets rid of the grown inhibiting hormones produced by certain territorial species, i.e.
If you do 1 x 50% water change per week, your fish will grow slower than if you do 2 x 50% water changes per week, or ......
This is one of the reasons in discus hatcheries, in order to get spawns to sellable size faster, 90% water changes are routinely done daily.
Yes there is variation but can you give an approx or estimate or range? I.e, are do they take a year or 10 years or between 2 and 4 years ?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
How long doe si ttake 2 inch chocolate cicihld to reach 6 inch ?
A 2in chocolate with proper feed and water changes will grow quickly. My large male, ~10in (250mm), came in at that size. The female was already an adult. The two juveniles came in around 1in (25mm) a year ago. They're about 4in now.I don't power feed and my tanks are on a auto water change.

Reactions: jake37 and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store