Choosing a monitor

D Realist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Weehawken, NJ
I have been looking up info about several monitor species on and off for several years. I have been really interested over the last 6 months or so to figure out what particular species I want. I had a nile monitor years ago for about 8 months and sold him before I moved out of state, so I have a very little bit of experience, but I was much younger than. Some of the species I have looked into was Dumeril's, Quince, Mangrove, Sav, Black roughneck, and most recently the Argus. I am looking for a monitor that is active, not quick to bite, and not too big. Would any of you recommend any of these or any other monitor? Also, can anyone else provide a little more info on the Argus or any of the others for that? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Well - I personally like the Ackies - small in size (usually 18-24" as adults), very active. great little predators. Yet most can be tamed enough to handle. Also there are several species of "dwarf" monitors which would be good choices. But ackies are the most common and easiest to care for. If you are looking for something a bit larger. A Savannah is a good pick. As they can also be tamed fairly easily, yet they get to 3-5 feet long. The are active voracious feeders. The Argus are also a good sized(3-5 feet) active monitor. But they generally don't like being handled. Then there are the Asian Water monitors - The CB Asian Water Monitors are often fairly easy to tame. But they may be a bit more expensive (often nearly $1,000. And they will usually get 5-6.5 feet long.

Reactions: tlindsey

D Realist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Weehawken, NJ
Well - I personally like the Ackies - small in size (usually 18-24" as adults), very active. great little predators. Yet most can be tamed enough to handle. Also there are several species of "dwarf" monitors which would be good choices. But ackies are the most common and easiest to care for. If you are looking for something a bit larger. A Savannah is a good pick. As they can also be tamed fairly easily, yet they get to 3-5 feet long. The are active voracious feeders. The Argus are also a good sized(3-5 feet) active monitor. But they generally don't like being handled. Then there are the Asian Water monitors - The CB Asian Water Monitors are often fairly easy to tame. But they may be a bit more expensive (often nearly $1,000. And they will usually get 5-6.5 feet long.
Thanks for the reply. I have read that about the Argus and about mangroves that neither ever really like to be handled at all. But I did somewhere that a person compared an argus to an ackie and said that they are like ackies on steriods, but I didn't think that description could be accurate if what people were saying about Argus temperament to be true. I looked into ackies a few times, but I wish they would grow to about a foot longer. I have seen some people say that the Savannahs are not very active and they tend to just lounge around and from the ones I have seen in person it seems to be an accurate statement, but it could be just their living conditions. If i had the space I would get a black throat, love those!

D Realist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Weehawken, NJ
I've read that Dumeril's and Quince are both active and good handling or display monitors. Anyone have any info supporting or discrediting that statement?

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Quince are an incredible medium sized monitor, provided you can house a 4-5' lizard. I've got a little baby now that's still in his shy juvenile stage, but will grow out of it I'm sure.

Reactions: tlindsey

smijeha

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2008
no where
Check out the whitethroat and blackthroat monitors. You're looking at a 4-7ft lizard though.

Also, you should look in to red tegus as well as the black and white tegus.

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
red ackie's are fun little monitors and if you have the space they are easy to breed. they max out about the same size as a bearded dragon and are way more intelligent they just like to dig and like it hot. I have a savannah right now he is a little guy full of personality and I love that little jerk. If you have the money you can look at dwarf monitors like a Gilleni or Pilbara rock. they are cool species and stay a really manageable size.

ackie care sheet http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Spiny-Tailed-Monitor-Lizard/
savannah care sheet http://www.anapsid.org/savannah.html

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
never had monitors, got the little bearded at the moment, had a green iggy for years, about 5ft. my arms scarred for life from him. not his fault, just the way the grappling hook toes are.

have been looking at the BW, but they kinda look like a uncircumcised phallus. But a large friendly lizard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store