Choosing a puffer between dwarfs and a lurker

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I have been trying to figure out something that can go in my dorm this year,and I was thinking a puffer might work well. The puffer has to meet some requirements though:

1. The tank has to be 30 gallons or less. It can be upgraded in about a year if necessary, but will have to live in that size for a while.

2. It will have to travel decently well since I have to transport it twice a year. The car ride is two hours and I will have a tank at home and a tank in the dorm so it will always have a tank ready to go in as soon as I arrive.

If a puffer is able handle that I am looking at a few species:

1. Red eye red tailed puffer(Carinotetraodon irrubesco) I am only interested in these if they can be kept in a small group.

2. Congo puffer(Tetraodon miurus) are the red and the normal the same species? Is one more active than the other?

3. Hairy puffer(Pao baileyi) this guy looks interesting although info on them is scarce. I hear this is one of the more active lurkers though.

I am open to other suggestions. I realize the lurkers are all inactive which is not a problem, but I would still like to get one of the more active ones if possible.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Fat Homer Fat Homer

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
My current Congo (Miurus) is super active as was my last. I think this is the best out of the lurkers. Very cool fish. My suvatti is awesome to but is way more timid with me. Hairy I haven't owned but the ones I've seen are 50/50 active vs timid like the suvatti.

0617191801a_Film1.jpg

0622192007_Film1.jpg

0629191138_Film1.jpg

0701191834_Film1.jpg

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
I'd have to say the hairy puffer, not sure how well he'll ship, but I don't think it'll be bad, just try to keep the temperature and container stable and maybe keep a bubbler there.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I agree with the above that if price doesnt matter, the Schoudenti would probably fit the bill best being in the middle size wise with a lot of activity...

But, if price is a bit of a concern, the smaller red eye species such as a the irrubessco wouldnt be a bad choice either...

Now onto the main question, they can travel quite well, although when catching them you’ll just have to be a little cautious to prevent them taking any air in, otherwise should be okay...

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I'm a bit nervous about the Schoudenti since it is so expensive, and I don't want to risk it since I am still on the fence about this working out in the first place.

I am leaning towards the congo puffer for sure since there is a lot of info on them. The hairy looks a bit cooler, but it makes me nervous that no one seems to have had one.

Last edited:

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I'm a bit nervous about the Schoudenti since it is so expensive, and I don't want to risk it since I am still on the fence about this working out in the first place.

I am leaning towards the congo puffer for sure since there is a lot of info on them. The hairy looks a bit cooler, but it makes me nervous that no one seems to have had one.
Tons of people have them. They fetch a higher price due to everyone wanting one. They're no different than the other lurkers care wise

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----

Having had a congo and hairy puffer i agree they are both extremely similar in character, where neither will be overly active unless its feeding time or you happen to get lucky and find an active one...

Although a congo may also be more inclined to bury itself compared to a hairy, who just lurks in rocks and caves...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store