Cichla ate Clown Loach.. Little concerned

motorhead1980

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
So this morning my 12" Mono decided to eat my 2" Clown Loach. This loach was in the tank before I got my Cichla and could not get it out.

There we're actually 2 loaches a week ago, one is gone so it was obviously eaten at some point.

The Mono spent about an hour this morning catching amd then holding onto the loach, and then the loach getting free.

Well he finally got the loach head first, and had had it half way down his throat for about 2 hours. I'm at work, so called the wife for an update

What are the chances of the bass not being able to get this loach down?? Or would he be waiting for the loach to die before swallowing it.

Obviously a 12 Mono has a huge mouth, but I'm concerned about the spikes.

Please let me know your thoughts.

motorhead1980

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
I'm just wondering why that loach wasn't removed during that hour it was being chased around.
Your 100% right, I tried my hardest to get that loach out, without completely stressing out the other 4 Cichla in the tank, before leaving for work. You can imagine the comotion of trying to net a loach well 5 bass chase it around. Most of that time it was being held in the monos mouth.

I wish I could have, believe me.

What do you think the chances of it getting stuck considering the size difference? Or being able to break it up in his mouth

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Your 100% right, I tried my hardest to get that loach out, without completely stressing out the other 4 Cichla in the tank, before leaving for work. You can imagine the comotion of trying to net a loach well 5 bass chase it around. Most of that time it was being held in the monos mouth.

I wish I could have, believe me.

What do you think the chances of it getting stuck considering the size difference? Or being able to break it up in his mouth
I understand and I think or rather,I hope that the cichla will be fine. I was not aware that CL's had such large and pronounced spikes but at two inches it might not be too much of a problem.

motorhead1980

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
I understand and I think or rather,I hope that the cichla will be fine. I was not aware that CL's had such large and pronounced spikes but at two inches it might not be too much of a problem.
Either did I, it might be closer to 1.5", feel like an idiot now, as I should have known better. Looking at the loach I can't see the spikes with my naked eye.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I understand that the loaches spikes are retractable and you cannot really see them unless they are deployed.I'd venture to guess that the loach in that photo is quite large.

motorhead1980

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
Guess I will be updating you guys when I get home, or hopefully have the wife give me a update sooner. Trying to explain what to look for let alone have her be looking at the right bass is a challenge with someone who doesn't understand why I'm so concerned, LOL. Fingers crossed

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I understand that the loaches spikes are retractable and you cannot really see them unless they are deployed.I'd venture to guess that the loach in that photo is quite large.
There's still too much color in the loach in the picture, and CL's tend to lose color as it gets bigger. Not sure what size it is, but definitely under 10".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store