Cichla vazzoleri?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Hi all, i was pointed to this topic this morning by a client.
Well I certainly wish I did. Unfortunately, the 1 and only person who was exporting the 'vazzoleri' from Brazil had them miss Id'd. When they arrived I had held onto them for a little while and consulted with 3 experts on Cichla so I can positively confirm if they were indeed vazzos or not. When marketing a highly desired species that has never been imported to North America(knowingly) I took the time for due diligence. The ID was based first on the actual photo of the parents to the juveniles that were swiped by the actual fisherman who collected them. Second, by the look of the juveniles while they were still in brazil through multiple video texts and then a clear look at them when they arrived here in North America. because TUIC has a 2 decade relationship with the exporter I was able to not only get those pics from the actual man who collected them I was also able to get the location they were collected from as well. if you didn't know, the fisherman HATE to give up collection locations. It is their livelihood so they do not want other fisherman encroaching on the the fishing spot. So sometimes getting the information takes a bit of poking. With a long standing relationship they sometimes give it up much easier. The vazzos listed by the exporter did not have a location tagged to the name. I had to go back and forth on many emails and texts to get the information and that was after i had already ordered nearly all that were available. They were collected in the Rio Tapajos and brought up to port in Satarem. Vazzoleri are accepted to be only from Rio Trombetas(and its tributaries) which is a few kilometers north west of the Tapajos and is separated by the Amazon main river. While is certainly not impossible for the fish to swim down river, catch a brief ride on the Amazon main river and hang a right turn into the Rio Tapajos it is just not likely. based on the adult photos, the collection location and the juvenile pattern of the fish once they arrived it was confirmed the vazzoleri are in fact pinima. Sorry guys. I will tell you that myself and the 2-3 others that imported these most certainly paid the price for what we hoped were vazzoleri.
to thickin the pot a bit, it is my understanding that vazzoleri and pinima are to be synonyms of each other. Time will tell. if that holds true than pinima i believe is the older nae and will stick. but, that is another topic lol. for now they are pinima.
Thank you for your transparency.

the order you are referring to is a previous batch correct?

the order I am about to receive is a brand new shipment from Rio trombetas and I trust my source. So it sounds like a new shipment is coming to Canada separate of what you are referring to.

Kevin@TUIC

Dovii
Staff member
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Thank you for your transparency.

the order you are referring to is a previous batch correct?

the order I am about to receive is a brand new shipment from Rio trombetas and I trust my source. So it sounds like a new shipment is coming to Canada separate of what you are referring to.
yes, these are the fish that were recently imported just a few weeks ago. As far as I know, no collections are being made or permits being issued for Trombetas which is why I went through all the work to get the information on them. I very easily could have just went with the listing from the exporter and assumed they were from Trometas. However, like I mentioned before a fish that is that desirable and never been in North America I needed positive Id before asking the price that the real deal would have fetched. TUIC has multiple sources that collect for me in Brazil. Only 1 has been offering vazzoleri in the entire country and it is were they are all coming from. Now, of course someone could have gone and collected them themselves and is handling the export/import or has a very exclusive deal with a local fisherman and export co. Possible but unlikely. Believe me I WISH they were the real deal. I imported nearly all that were available leaving the exporter with only a few boxes to send to whomever else imported them in. they werent cheap.

Reactions: Matteus and robmcd

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hi all, i was pointed to this topic this morning by a client.
Well I certainly wish I did. Unfortunately, the 1 and only person who was exporting the 'vazzoleri' from Brazil had them miss Id'd. When they arrived I had held onto them for a little while and consulted with 3 experts on Cichla so I can positively confirm if they were indeed vazzos or not. When marketing a highly desired species that has never been imported to North America(knowingly) I took the time for due diligence. The ID was based first on the actual photo of the parents to the juveniles that were swiped by the actual fisherman who collected them. Second, by the look of the juveniles while they were still in brazil through multiple video texts and then a clear look at them when they arrived here in North America. because TUIC has a 2 decade relationship with the exporter I was able to not only get those pics from the actual man who collected them I was also able to get the location they were collected from as well. if you didn't know, the fisherman HATE to give up collection locations. It is their livelihood so they do not want other fisherman encroaching on the the fishing spot. So sometimes getting the information takes a bit of poking. With a long standing relationship they sometimes give it up much easier. The vazzos listed by the exporter did not have a location tagged to the name. I had to go back and forth on many emails and texts to get the information and that was after i had already ordered nearly all that were available. They were collected in the Rio Tapajos and brought up to port in Satarem. Vazzoleri are accepted to be only from Rio Trombetas(and its tributaries) which is a few kilometers north west of the Tapajos and is separated by the Amazon main river. While is certainly not impossible for the fish to swim down river, catch a brief ride on the Amazon main river and hang a right turn into the Rio Tapajos it is just not likely. based on the adult photos, the collection location and the juvenile pattern of the fish once they arrived it was confirmed the vazzoleri are in fact pinima. Sorry guys. I will tell you that myself and the 2-3 others that imported these most certainly paid the price for what we hoped were vazzoleri.
to thickin the pot a bit, it is my understanding that vazzoleri and pinima are to be synonyms of each other. Time will tell. if that holds true than pinima i believe is the older nae and will stick. but, that is another topic lol. for now they are pinima.
Very interesting,thanks for posting.

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
yes, these are the fish that were recently imported just a few weeks ago. As far as I know, no collections are being made or permits being issued for Trombetas which is why I went through all the work to get the information on them. I very easily could have just went with the listing from the exporter and assumed they were from Trometas. However, like I mentioned before a fish that is that desirable and never been in North America I needed positive Id before asking the price that the real deal would have fetched. TUIC has multiple sources that collect for me in Brazil. Only 1 has been offering vazzoleri in the entire country and it is were they are all coming from. Now, of course someone could have gone and collected them themselves and is handling the export/import or has a very exclusive deal with a local fisherman and export co. Possible but unlikely. Believe me I WISH they were the real deal. I imported nearly all that were available leaving the exporter with only a few boxes to send to whomever else imported them in. they werent cheap.
Sorry I am new to a lot of this, sonpleaseWhat is tuic?

it sounds like you are an American importer of sorts?

And yes they were not cheap by any means.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store