Cichlid female holding fry!

HDFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2019
Hi everybody I have a 125 community African Cichlid tank. My blue zebra female African Cichlid is holding eggs and I was wondering if there is any chance the fry will survive in the community tank. All of my cichlids are on the smaller side as they are still juveniles and I have plenty of rocks and hiding spaces. I can remove her and put her in a seperate tank but if there is a way the fry will make it in the big tank that would be awesome. (I already made a post about this but it was unclear so I’m re-posting) ALL THE FISH IN THE TANK ARE AFRICAN CICHLIDS also I am unclear which cichlid she spawned with.

GVerde

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
Chicago
Some will survive if you have hiding spots but most will probably get eaten. Only way to save the fry is to let her release them in a separate tank by themselves or manually open ber mouth to release the fry in a separate tank after about 21 days.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would guess no fry would survive...if you want them to you would be better off removing the female.

Since they are hybrids, you may not want them to survive in the main tank. It means you would lose the option to sell/give away/rehome ANY of the fish in the tank because hybrids can look exactly like the adults. You would no longer know which fish are pure and which fish are the hybrid suspects.

Reactions: deeda

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
Often a few will survive but the raising on random hybrids isn't ideal. I had some survive in my tank and sold them as feeders.

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
heres the hybrids that survived in a display tank. i should of culled them earlier.
PA071115.JPG
I think they were a red zebra female x stiped blue zebra male.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store