Cichlid for 30 gallon, considering Hemichromis sp. “Moanda” ?

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I am interested in getting a cichlid for my 30 gallon. The wetspot has some Hemichromis sp. “Moanda” which I read are among the more peaceful jewel cichlids.

I would like two of them with a school of something(recommendations?) to keep with them as well as perhaps a small bottom dweller like a catfish? Would it be better house another small cichlid with them instead and just forget the tetras/catfish?

Any help is appreciated as I know very little about small cichlids.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am interested in getting a cichlid for my 30 gallon. The wetspot has some Hemichromis sp. “Moanda” which I read are among the more peaceful jewel cichlids.

I would like two of them with a school of something(recommendations?) to keep with them as well as perhaps a small bottom dweller like a catfish? Would it be better house another small cichlid with them instead and just forget the tetras/catfish?

Any help is appreciated as I know very little about small cichlids.

A 30 gallon would be only bare minimum for a true pair. No bottom dwellers. When Jewel Cichlid spawn they are highly aggressive.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/jewel-cichlid-breeding.714951/#post-8070974

Reactions: twentyleagues

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Like to add buy 4 or 5 so that they will pair off naturally. When you notice 2 paired off rehome the others. The Wetspot probably have very small ones if so let them growout before assuming you have a pair.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Like to add buy 4 or 5 so that they will pair off naturally. When you notice 2 paired off rehome the others. The Wetspot probably have very small ones if so let them growout before assuming you have a pair.
Would two that are not a pair not get along?

Reactions: tlindsey

ilovefish2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2019
I have a southamerican community tank with a pair of Apistogramma Baenschi as centerpiece. With them:
- any type of Tetra that fits your water parameters
- any type of corydoras
- I also got a clown pleco in this tank and they don’t care for each other
I can only recommend it. Plant the tank and create hiding spots for the pleco as he is almost only active when the light is out and when it’s feeding time.
I did a post about this tank: „My Dwarf Cichlid Tank“

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store