Cichlid ID

Specialk314

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2009
Baltimore
Hey everyone! After a long time away from this forum, i'm happy to be back. I recently moved and inherited a cichlid from the previous tenant. I've never researched much about cichlids so i'm hoping you all can help me ID this cichlid. He is about 4-5" long (Mods, please move if this is not an African Rift Lake Cichlid)
Thanks in advance!

IMG_1856.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I still don’t know where that story comes from but there’s been literally no proof of that, either in genetic tests or in reproducing those results. I still find it really irresponsible to spread that around as fact, much like the story that severums were used to create blood parrots.

Reactions: decoy50

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I still don’t know where that story comes from but there’s been literally no proof of that, either in genetic tests or in reproducing those results. I still find it really irresponsible to spread that around as fact, much like the story that severums were used to create blood parrots.
Hmm
According to some = fact.....
You say potato I say Apple pie. Same thing? Lol

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Mine was more of a general statement. Multiple places are stating this as fact now including Andinoacara.com, and of course there’s no source as to where that information came from.

Reactions: twentyleagues

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe the average aquarist could care less whether the fish they acquire, is a hybrid, line bred, or simple mutant, or a true species, and buys what appeals to the eye. And of course, that's fine
I on the other hand, believe, if there is even an inkling that there has been man made tinkering or modification, that fish is unwanted by me.
And I feel to represent any of those above manipulations as a true, pure species is vastly more irresponsible than suggesting doubt on its genetic purity.
If someone comes up with a catch location for Electric Blue Acaras, I would concede, but as of yet that hasn't happened, so whether its line bred (like Electric blue Rams, or JDs) and a hybrid (like a Flowerhorn), or a line bred mutant (like a BP, or short bodied anything that I would have culled) I believe either way, it won't be found in my tanks, just as you wouldn't find a gold severum, pink convict, or any albino anything.

Last edited:

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
There is a difference between something being line bred to set a genetic mutation (fin length, color variance, etc.) versus being a hybrid.

There is a very clear history of how blue diamond discus were discovered, for instance. They are a solid blue iridescent fish but they were not created using any kind of hybridizing outside of their genus.

I keep seeing over and over again on forums and Facebook groups now that electric blue rams were used to create EBA when no one knows that for sure, and may even be scientifically impossible.

No one is claiming that electric blue acaras are naturally-occurring in the wild, but a lot of the longtime hobby staples were simply line-bred by breeders who saw variations in fry and then bred for that trait. It doesn’t change their species.

Reactions: decoy50

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
The fact is no one knows if they are hybrid or line bred. There's indicators they are hybrid such as the longer fins but there's no proof either way. They seem too hardy to be line bred when compared to the electric blue jack Dempsey.
I had some a while back and enjoyed keeping them, they were relatively peaceful ,hardy and bred easily. I would certainly recommend them but can see why purists don't like them.
Incidentally when I brought them the shop guy said they were a wild strain not man made/bred!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although I could care less that other people want designer fish, and do know line breeding (man induced manipulation of genes to produce color variation, or long fins, etc, is not the same as, or not quite as repugnant to me, as hybridization, or as man made mutant production), it is still the kind of tinkering that's not for my anally puristic tanks.
If a fish is blue in nature (there are many), it is different than one made blue or candy apple red in the lab, or some amatuers basement.
I don't need someone to make JDs or acaras bluer than they are, there are plenty enough naturally blue Malawi cichlids if I want blue.

The problem comes in for me, when (as seems predominantly the case today) so many amateurs are manipulating fish, and turning them into LFSs as this or that, that the real ones are impossible to find.

In my tanks an unnaturally colored live bearer, cichlid, or anything just doesn't fit approach.
Many aquarists will mix continents, but I'm at a point where I don't want to even put fish from different small countries together.

Reactions: RedRaven
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store