Cichlid ID

streaker442

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
Hey everyone haven’t posted in a very long time. I don’t get to keep fish since I know live in the Horn of Africa. Not a lot of opportunities for aquariums here. I do get to occasionally fish though. These were caught on vacation at Lake Langano in Ethiopia. Anyone have any ideas? Could they possibly be male and female of the same species? Let me know your thoughts!

2CCF371E-33AB-4876-BC1C-FE0B1E845CA3.jpegF51C7CAD-A5EE-497B-83F6-167147A9B59F.jpeg

Reactions: cockroach

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
duanes duanes RD. RD. Oddball Oddball maybe they can help.

streaker442

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
duanes duanes RD. RD. Oddball Oddball maybe they can help.
Thanks for the help! I've been searching academic reports of endemic fish to the lakes in Ethio. Only type of cichlid I can find is Oreochromis niloticus (Nile Tilapia). I'm just not 100% sure this matches that.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To me it looks a little like Danakilia shukoray a Tilapine that comes from the lakes of the Danakila depression in Ethiopia.
The 1st photo a male, 2nd maybe a female.
At spawning time the males get a nuchal hump
I have never seen them in the flesh though, they have been on my wish list for a long time, and i doubt they will ever get to where I am now.
I believe Below Water Aquatics of Canada has them on their cichlid list.

Last edited:

streaker442

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
To me it looks a little like Danakilia shukoray a Tilapine that comes from the lakes of the Danakila depression in Ethiopia.
The 1st photo a male, 2nd maybe a female.
At spawning time the males get a nuchal hump
I have never seen them in the flesh though, they have been on my wish list for a long time, and i doubt they will ever get to where I am now.
I believe Below Water Aquatics of Canada has them on their cichlid list.
Looks like that might be it. Interesting though the danakii depression is a lot further north than where I caught this fish. Climate is a lot different too. This lake has a lot of sediment in it, but it is not considered a saline lake. Thanks for the help!

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I got the chance to see some Danakilia live yesterday. Unfortunately I had no camera with me.
But I can tell now that your fish doesn't seem to be a Danakilia species.

I guess your fish is a Coptodon.
Probably Coptodon zillii which are common to lake langano.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store