Cichlid tank stocking ?

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
I'm planning on a 125gallon cichlid tank and I want it natural looking with a few types and breeding groups I know dovii are out the question lol what species could work in that tank I plan on gravel bed drift wood and rock caves. I have a African tank and flowerhorn tanks now but I'd like a South American-central and I don't know many species so any recommendations would help I'll research what species options I get

heavyhitter

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Nebraska
I'm planning on a 125gallon cichlid tank and I want it natural looking with a few types and breeding groups I k
I think a few may be out of the question. You could try a firemouth pair, and maybe a blue acara pair, something like that. You start getting into the larger more belligerent fish, a 125 is only good for one breeding pair - two fish a male and a female, and in some cases the female is questionable.

Maybe a breeding pair of Dempsey or salvini, put a robust fish or two that are not breeding pair. Either way having a breeding pair of just about any type of cichlid is stressful on the inhabitants if kept together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pond9

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Thanks I was looking at salvini but from what I've read if you have a breeding pair no chance of any other fish in that tank. Is that correct? What would you recommend for a stocking with salvini in that tank just one male and one female?

heavyhitter

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Nebraska
Depends on the fish. What ever you keep the breeding pair will take up half the tank, at best. At worst the other fish will be cowering at the top in a corner and not happy. EVERYTHING with Central Americans and some South Americans is a gamble just have a fast and sufficient re-home strategy available.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Thanks I was looking at salvini but from what I've read if you have a breeding pair no chance of any other fish in that tank. Is that correct? What would you recommend for a stocking with salvini in that tank just one male and one female?
A breeding pair would be too aggressive for tankmates. But a single female shouldn't be too aggressive. Every individual will be different.

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Severums, chocolates, some of the cryptohero species would work in a set up like that if aquascaped properly. Just avoid large aggressive cichlids and you could get a couple pairs in there. You could also do bottom feeders like loaches, plecos, syndontis cats. Could also do some shoaling fish for the upper portion such as silver dollars or larger tetras. Lots of options as long as you stay away from aggressive fish

Reactions: tlindsey

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
I'm leaning toward a salvini pair in a natural setting would get to experience them like they were in there natural setting. I don't want to breed them for money or anything I just enjoy watching cichlids pairs with there fry most are such good parents it's interesting to watch.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I'm leaning toward a salvini pair in a natural setting would get to experience them like they were in there natural setting. I don't want to breed them for money or anything I just enjoy watching cichlids pairs with there fry most are such good parents it's interesting to watch.
A 125g with a breeding pair of salvini would be amazing. I would add a large group of livebarers like swordtails and/or mollies. They do well with salvini IME. Especially if you are going for a natural set up.

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
Thorichthys, acaras, Severums, Angels, and maybe a few other fish would work. Not all at once, of course, but 3-4 pairs in a well scaped aquarium should work, IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store