Cichlids which can take cooler temps - if need be?

chriswf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
Texas
A little over half way completed with my 450g tank build. Reading a lot into which fish to get.

My tank will be in my garage. The tank will be insulated - buuuuut...

I read online, that if something were to happen to my heaters, that Peacock Bass could die QUICKLY in winter - because they aren't tolerant to cold water temps at all. And that massive amounts of them die over Florida's winters.

I used to have Dovii, and I'm sure there may have been a time or two when my tank somehow got to the low 70s or less. I had them for over 2 years...

Not sure what other big cichlids I could go with.
I kinda want big fish with either attitude, or appetite.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
The location the fish come from should give you some clue as to what sort of temps they can handle. I'd consider other options though, insulate the tank and garage, back up heaters etc.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Many of the cichlids of northern Mexico can handle cooler temps.
I have kept Herichthys carpintus outside in summer in Milwaukee and they easily took water temps in the 60s.

Beani also handled 60sF.

From southern S American, all the Uruguayan cichlid actually need temp drops.
Gymnogeophaus, Crenicichla and Australoheros all get winter temps as low as 60's and in spring and fall in the pond, get temps as low as 50's.

Australoheros red ceibal above
Uruguayan Crenicichla below

None of the above get as big as P bass or dovii, however, there are Tilapia that can also handle low temps, get large, and as an added benefit, you could pull out and eat at a later date.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Almost all Central Americans are just fine in the low 70s or lower, if the temp drops gradually. I don't use heaters on CA tanks in my fishroom.

South Americans other than Uruguayan/Argentinian fish aren't going to do well with lower temps.

Matt

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
If your tank is insulated on bottom, back and both sides it will take a while for 450gallons to drop significantly. I would have backup heaters just in case, but if you're looking at your tank everyday you'll have plenty of time to catch any problems.

I've been looking into temp controllers lately, because I'm worried about fluctuating temps. One of those could also help to keep the temp set where you want it. Not going to help if the heater quits working, but will prevent overheating.

pckts

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
long beach Cali
Not only can many cichlids handle cooler temps but many cichlids can handle warmer temps as well. I read a document on Istlanum's that said their prime temp in there waters was in the mid to upper 80s. Literally upper 80s it was crazy to read.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
X2 for texas/carpintis.my power was out during the storm in NJ for 8 days,my only fish to make it was group of 4 small carpintis,and the hybrid texasXjag from my avatar.tank water temp. hit the low 50's

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
cold? Midas and Grammodes can live in the frige. I drove from VA to CA. I had air but no heater. Midas and Grammodes were my survivors. Dovii died. It was ice cold water. They all were half dead. they were in the back so they didnt get heated. It was really cold. Ice cold

chriswf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
Texas
We lost power during our freezes a few times in Tx. I could tend to adding air to the water, and mildly add warm warm water or heat bricks - but my new place has an electric oven :(

last place I lived had a gas oven so I could keep my indoor tanks warm with heated rocks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store