Circ pump placement with FX6

B1GC0UNTRY

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2020
I routed my intake/out put on opposing sides of my 125 per the FX6 guide. I’d like to run a circulation pump to assist with sweeping the sand substrate. Finding a lot of dead zones with the FX6 alone. I have two Hydor circ pumps I can use. 850 gph and 1950 gph. I don’t plan on it being a 24/7 pump. Set on a timer for a few time points to sweep back to the intake. Which side of the tank should I place it? Same side as the intake or out put? Does the FX6 NEED to be set up with opposing sides or should I mount everything on one side for better overall flow. Using the standard out put from Fluval. Stock is 2 oscars, 5 SD, poop machine BN pleco and a few bichirs.
Thanks ??

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Ideally your intake and outlet should be on opposite ends. I would put both pumps on the same side as the fx6 outlet with the bigger pump higher so it doesn't blow away your substrate. This way the water should hit the other side and flow downwards towards the intake, as well as along the substrate.

I've been messing with the circulation in my 240 too. Currently I have 2 canister outlets on the left exiting downward and the intakes on the right extended a few inches from the substrate. I also have 2 hobs and 2 pumps on the right all at the surface for agitation. So water flows left along the surface, hits the other wall and outlets, pushing it down and to the right along the substrate towards the intakes.

Reactions: B1GC0UNTRY

B1GC0UNTRY

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2020
Ideally your intake and outlet should be on opposite ends. I would put both pumps on the same side as the fx6 outlet with the bigger pump higher so it doesn't blow away your substrate. This way the water should hit the other side and flow downwards towards the intake, as well as along the substrate.

I've been messing with the circulation in my 240 too. Currently I have 2 canister outlets on the left exiting downward and the intakes on the right extended a few inches from the substrate. I also have 2 hobs and 2 pumps on the right all at the surface for agitation. So water flows left along the surface, hits the other wall and outlets, pushing it down and to the right along the substrate towards the intakes.
Just to clarify, you think I should try both circ pumps (1950&850 GPH) for a standard 125? I want more flow but I don’t want to create too much that irritates some of my slow movers (Bichirs). I do have a 14” air stone on the other end about 12” from the intake for oxygen exchange and a little additional flow. Thank you for the reply ??

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Just to clarify, you think I should try both circ pumps (1950&850 GPH) for a standard 125? I want more flow but I don’t want to create too much that irritates some of my slow movers (Bichirs). I do have a 14” air stone on the other end about 12” from the intake for oxygen exchange and a little additional flow. Thank you for the reply ??
The 1950 is probably too strong for the oscars to run 24/7 but if you just turn it on periodically to sweep the tank it might be okay. The airstone should also help lift up waste toward the intake. I moved a few things around since posting lol now both intakes are on the left and everything else on the other side.

B1GC0UNTRY

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2020
I’ll give it a try. So current setup is: output far left, one nozzle pointed to the right slightly up. Second nozzle at 45 to right front corner. 850 on left, pointed slightly up and on constant supply. 1950 next to 850, both about 6” below water line. 1950 on a timer for 4- 1hr run cycles throughout the day so everyone gets a break from the higher flow. I gravel vac and do water changes of about ~50% every 3 days, so I’m not trying to replace a good cleaning. Just want to avoid dead zones and pleco poop piles. Already noticed a ton of particulates in the water column since adding the pumps. We’ll see if they clear up when I get home from work later today.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
What i would do:

-Output on far left, aimed towards surface
-1950 a foot away from output, pointed towards surface
-intake on the far right.
-850 somewhere near the intake, pointed downwards and back across the tank to the left.

This should create a sort of churning effect in the bottom regions of the tank that will eliminate debris piling up in corners of the tank, while still maintaining a somewhat laminar flow through the top portion of the tank.

B1GC0UNTRY

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2020
What i would do:

-Output on far left, aimed towards surface
-1950 a foot away from output, pointed towards surface
-intake on the far right.
-850 somewhere near the intake, pointed downwards and back across the tank to the left.

This should create a sort of churning effect in the bottom regions of the tank that will eliminate debris piling up in corners of the tank, while still maintaining a somewhat laminar flow through the top portion of the tank.
I’ll give this a try. I think it makes a little more sense in my head creating a full flow. By a foot from the output, do you mean horizontal or vertically? Same for the 850 and the intake. Constant flow or timer?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I’ll give this a try. I think it makes a little more sense in my head creating a full flow. By a foot from the output, do you mean horizontal or vertically? Same for the 850 and the intake. Constant flow or timer?
I would put the big wave pump a foot or so to the side of the output, and the small wave pump right under the intake.

Are they adjustable? If so i just would run about half power on both all the time. If theyre not then you could just run them a few hours a day. The oscars would definitely appreciate it if you cut them off completely at night.

B1GC0UNTRY

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2020
I would put the big wave pump a foot or so to the side of the output, and the small wave pump right under the intake.

Are they adjustable? If so i just would run about half power on both all the time. If theyre not then you could just run them a few hours a day. The oscars would definitely appreciate it if you cut them off completely at night.
not sure if I can fit it underneath. I have the intake as short as it will go without cutting it. About 4” above the sand to save my impeller. Here’s how the FX is setup. Older pic. The bubble wall is on the right, short side now. Intake is a little more to the left, about 12” from the right corner. I can move either if I need to. Circ pump is no longer in that location right now. Pumps are not adjustable, I’ll use a timer.
B32C8D95-CA6C-4928-B79B-D1F6AFAA42E5.jpeg

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
not sure if I can fit it underneath. I have the intake as short as it will go without cutting it. About 4” above the sand to save my impeller. Here’s how the FX is setup. Older pic. The bubble wall is on the right, short side now. Intake is a little more to the left, about 12” from the right corner. I can move either if I need to. Circ pump is no longer in that location right now. Pumps are not adjustable, I’ll use a timer.
View attachment 1424995
Nice tank i dig the black sand and background combo.

Honestly you probably cant go wrong with whatever you do. I was just imparting the need for that churning effect. Ive noticed in tanks where i set up a laminar flow only that debris can build up quickly in crevices.

When i used an fx6, i removed that extendable pipe thing and just hooked the strainer part right into the flex line to put it closer to the surface. The way youre doing it wirks fine, but i found the pipe made the whole apparatus more obtrusive, unsightly than just the strainer near the top of the tank. In the event that the canister leaks (unlikely, but still a concern ime) the tank will drain to the level of the intake which is another thing to consider. So in my view, having all your powerheads slightly lower than the intake/output is a good idea since they will continue to provide flow and not burn up if you encounter such a disaster. Just my two cents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store