Circulation pump for 15g nano reef?

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Hi folks,

I'm setting up my first saltwater tank soon, a 15g tall hexagon. I'll start FOWLR but hope to add a few corals as soon as I can. I'm particularly interested in Xenia and mushroom corals, which I've read like moderate flow. That's about 30-40x turnover correct? Any recommendations for a good quality, quiet circulation pump given those parameters and the tall rather than long tank shape?

I was looking at the Hydor Koralia Nano 425 GPH but that only provides 28x flow. Should I get the 565 instead or would that be too much? I plan to keep a pair of Ocellaris in this tank and I've read they sometimes struggle when the flow is very high. Any other good pumps besides Koralia I should look at?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi folks,

I'm setting up my first saltwater tank soon, a 15g tall hexagon. I'll start FOWLR but hope to add a few corals as soon as I can. I'm particularly interested in Xenia and mushroom corals, which I've read like moderate flow. That's about 30-40x turnover correct? Any recommendations for a good quality, quiet circulation pump given those parameters and the tall rather than long tank shape?

I was looking at the Hydor Koralia Nano 425 GPH but that only provides 28x flow. Should I get the 565 instead or would that be too much? I plan to keep a pair of Ocellaris in this tank and I've read they sometimes struggle when the flow is very high. Any other good pumps besides Koralia I should look at?

Thanks in advance!
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
The koralia is a swivelling suction cup mounted powerhead. You can just place it closer to your corals if you want more flow. I would go with it. :thumbsup:(never kept SW, but just using logic here.)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The koralia nano is a good piece of eqipment, I owned one back in the day and liked it, they get solid reviews. It is a wavemaker, unless they also make a box pump I don't know about. 28x should be ok for xenia and mushrooms IMO. The xenia like moderate flow, the shrooms don't need much flow at all. And with the tall shape of the tank, the flow will probably bounce off a wall and make a bunch of flow patterns, which would be good. If you were going for more high-flow corals like some SPS I would say get the 565, but for softies the 428 should be fine imo. I have also heard good things about Sicce pumps, and they have a 530 gph verson called the voyager nano that might be a nice in-between size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store