City tap water and nitrate

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I want to say I did but I want to make sure and get back to this in another week. Initial results are undetectable by API test kit in all three categories.

According to https://www.ewg.org, my city has a reported average rate of 3.39 ppm Nitrates from 2010-2015. Health guidelines are 5 ppm and under. Legal limit is 10 ppm.

Anyways... Need some chemistry here... Brainstorming how perfectly clean water becomes fertilizer in a week...

Chlorine in water... we have hypochlorous acid (HOCl), and hydrochloric acid (HCl)
Weco Dechlor (sodium thiosulfate ).... Na2S2O3
Nitrates.... NO3-
Most water reports here state nitrates as in the form NO3-N but test kits read NO3. The conversion rate is 1 NO3-n is 4 no3

Which would kind of explain what your seeing

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Quite interesting, im wondering if bacteria are getting in the water?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
OP, what city do you live in, it should be very easy to access your cities EPA water quality report by going to the Cities web site, and typing in Water quality Report. Sometimes its even easier, because its all on your water bill.
This usually tells what the disinfectant is/ or are, and will let you know chemically, why things are the way they are.
When I worked as a chemist/microbiologist for a drinking water supplier, I had to generate daily (hourly) data, that was used for the annual report submitted to the EPA, any city with a public water supply will be required to do the same, and make it available to the water users.

Reactions: LBDave and Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store