Clamping fin behaviors

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
The moke started doing this thing where she clamps her pec fins up to her body. She sometimes does it when other polys are nearby. Seems like a defensive maneuver. Looked at the behavioral stickie and it said internal parasites...but I’m not convinced. Seems like a defensive maneuver. Any thoughts?

Scroll to 0:55 if you don’t want to watch the whole 1min 17 sec video. There’s some cool dive footage and more clamping at the beginning though.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The moke started doing this thing where she clamps her pec fins up to her body. She sometimes does it when other polys are nearby. Seems like a defensive maneuver. Looked at the behavioral stickie and it said internal parasites...but I’m not convinced. Seems like a defensive maneuver. Any thoughts?

Scroll to 0:55 if you don’t want to watch the whole 1min 17 sec video. There’s some cool dive footage and more clamping at the beginning though.

I personally haven't seen my Polys do that but the Moke looks great.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Which one is that? Your original agressive one? Might just be thinking "hmmm I'm gonna hide my pec fins because I know id like to bite someones pec fin right now!"
Looks healthy though. I wouldn't worry. After I watched your vid another came up on poly fin guarding, I've not noticed mine doing that. Interesting behavior that makes sense.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

Nothing to worry about. Mine do it all the time especially when a boss or an aggressor is near.

Reactions: clm08k and DMD123

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Thanks for the answers everyone. Glad that this is a normal behavior in other people’s polys too. I hadn’t seen it before, so I wasn’t sure what to think.
Which one is that? Your original agressive one? Might just be thinking "hmmm I'm gonna hide my pec fins because I know id like to bite someones pec fin right now!"
Looks healthy though. I wouldn't worry. After I watched your vid another came up on poly fin guarding, I've not noticed mine doing that. Interesting behavior that makes sense.
Hehehe good catch. ironically she’s been the one getting picked on lately. Even though yes, she Is a natural predator and looks kinda evil. However, Soba(the other moke) has been testy ....or horny for all I know. The mokes do spend a lot of time around each other. I love watching them together.
05FC26B0-A4C3-4BD6-AA82-C6894109ADAC.jpeg
Pinky’s pec fin has been bloody, so he might have been instigating again. I’m guessing he bothered Macaroni(polli) because she was nipping at him.They’ve all been quiet lively lately. Wonder if I should start feeding them every day?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store